Fly Tying

leavin for clearwater junction show in the mouring, i'll be back on the 12th, catch you guys on the rebound.

spanky, thanks for hosting the scud swap, i look forward to doing more swaps in the near future with you guys, theres a little somtun somtun in the package for you for hosting this, later guys

Bud

OOH YEAH! I got my new vise today. Scuds are being tied in T minus 10 minutes (not on that hook, of course) !!! :headbang:

post-9601-1212689577_thumb.jpg

Bud's flies arrived today! Extremely generous of you Bud. Both sets are truly awesome. And your "little somtun, somtun" for the swapmeister is over the top. After I got through oohing and aahing over it my son walked in and asked all kind of questions about materials and methods. He has participated in a few kid swaps and will going with me this weekend to visit my other son in the mountains and go fishing. I knew part of it but the majority of it was "I'm not sure but..."

Anyway, our next trip to the frame shop will find that rascal a home. It will be given a place of honor in the "man room" where I try to do most of my tying.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Here's what I'm workin on so far. I think I like this dubbed body the best of what I've done...

post-9601-1212715573_thumb.jpg

Guest Big E

I've had a dropout in my scud swap in case any of you not signed up for my swap and finish early want to tie up some more (nudges Bud).

The due date on my swap is Jul 15, so there is still plenty of time.

If you would like to join, just PM me and I will add you.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Here's the link to my swap

I did a little research tonight on scuds and on their coloration. I actually think I'll be going with a different pattern if that's okay with the SM (time permitting, I'll just submit two sets). It's basically a cream seal's fur body with a mottled hares mask thorax. With the scud back on it, it looks more tempting to me... and hopefully the fish will think so too.

This was a quick tie, so it's a bit sloppy. More care will be taken on the ones you guys get. I hope you like it.

Jeff

post-9601-1212985798_thumb.jpg

That one looks like it will catch fish Dart! Might even be good in a Cajun shrimp boil . . . . .

Spanky, mine went out in today's mail and are headed in your direction!

Enjoying my visit with my son. It is beastly hot in western NC. Fishing has been tough, very crowded on the delayed harvest streams. We fished away from the crowds today and it payed off nicely. Just prior to a thundershower rolling in, a heavy hatch of light colored mayflies went off and the dry fly action was unexpectedly fast. Spent too much time in the trees but had a great ime with my boys. Did catch 2 bows on my scud prototype before snagging it in the trees.

Where are you fishing in NC? I moved here last summer and need to find a good place. I'm in Chapel Hill for the time being.

Jeff

Dart,

I primarily fish the Tuckaseegee near Cullowhee, home of Western Carolina University. Occasionally we will venture up to Cherokee. There are several nice streams in the area along with a Delayed Harvest section of the Tuckaseegee that is great for fly fishing from October through May. June thru September it reverts to hatchery supported regs and this past weekend was opening day. Very crowded and very hot. We have also fished Scott Creek just up the road. My sons have been fortunate to meet some local guys while at WCU who have taken them around to local streams. My family and my wife's family still live in the Hillsborough and Chapel Hill area so we are up there occasionally. We'll have to meet up sometime, good to have someone to talk fly fishing with.

Airedale,

Don't worry about being a beginner, that's what we're all about on FTF, learning from each other. And besides those are some very neat ties, much better than my first swap offering. I examined stomach contents on a few fish I kept this weekend and there were some scuds or larvae of some sort in them that were strikingly similar in size and color to your flies. I fully intend to give your pattern a try next trip.

Dale's flies arrived today. If there were trout in this part of the state they would have surrounded my mailbox. Really nice job.

I'll keep updates on status coming by editing the first post. This is shaping up into a great swap. I think everyone will truly be pleased when they get hold of these.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

SullyTM's flies arrived today. This swap is really looking good. Fish are in trouble.

Keep up the good work guys. We are almost halfway done and every set so far looks to be an asset to any fly box.

:headbang: