Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

The Wookie

A meat and potatoes fly. I tie them big. No finesse to fishing them just chuck and strip. Also great in a natural brown with the chartreuse eyes and legs.

:yahoo: Old Hat- I just love fly's like you tied. It gives the fish a meal. And thats what they are looking for. I really like the Eyes. They stand out just right. Great tye. :)

I tossed a popper with those legs just last saturday....caught a bass! You'll need to find a bigger bass though, that fly is huge!

Very nice!

Hey, it's Twofingerz! Nice looking fly for pike, huh?

I fish these on a fly fishing only lake here in Oregon. It used to be a trophy trout fishery but has since become a bass fishery due to some introductions. So now it is a fly fishing only trophy bass fishery basically. Bass averaging 5-10lbs.

pike fly for sure. and in natural brown it would be a sure fire hit. pike are concentrating on round gobies right now and brown is the color of choice. actually the smallies are doing the same so brown would work for either. the weed beds are dying back and the gobies are running out of places to hide so now the predators are really keying in on them in the shallower waters.

a couple from last weekend and the newest addition to the boat.

post-9630-1222926325_thumb.jpg

post-9630-1222926452_thumb.jpg

post-9630-1222926507_thumb.jpg

post-9630-1222926538_thumb.jpg

I might also add that it may work well casting for walleyes. My home lake here in Iowa is pretty shallow and full of decent sized walleyes thanks to a slot limit. I also fish some farm ponds where this would be deadly, I may try it with a red and black color scheme, or a black and olive w/black redflake rubber legs. I know the black/chart. will kill the walleyes, they love anything white, chartreuse, and/or shiny with some action to it. :yahoo:

post-20329-1235821898_thumb.jpg

The Wookie resurrected. Dave-O those sound like some great color schemes. Also, I've used just a natural barred brown for the body color then bright eyes and rubber legs with much success. Also, another variation is to use a solid color tail with the white leather strip and color the strip with a marker to your choice. A few Krystal flash strands under the tail is another variation I've done.

Good luck, and don't forget to duck on the forward cast. :D