Fly Tying
tennesseeflyfisherman

farm pond bluegill

Well!!!!!! Let's see some pictures!! Including the warmouth.

I like small poppers. Herds of bluegills will follow them and every one is fighting to eat the popper.

Ray

I have found that alot of my baitfish patterns I use in salt water, if scaled down to smaller hooks, I do real well in the ponds we have around the house.

Bluegills around here have never (almost) had trouble biting on a black leech pattern, a black bugger will do, or small Clouser. I like black over chartreuse with a little silver flash. Those are my two go-to's.

Deeky

micro buggers are my most consistant producers for pond fish. I tie them on a # 10 dry fly hook to keep the overall size small.I use a cone head and my fav. colors are blk/char, sil/gry and gld/yel. For topwater action I like #12 deerhair beetles and irresistibles. Black or black and yellow.

My goto flies in your situation (since they won't hit poppers) is a Guadalupe Green and the Verduin Cap Spider. The 'Green is a pretty good imitation of a damsel/dragon fly and I've had success with both bass and bream on the fly is sizes from 12 - 8. The bass will even hit the smaller ones. Since you're already using sinking spiders, you may be using something similar to the Cap Spider, but you might take a look and try some. This time of year, the bream are near the bottom and the strikes are almost imperceptible. I have a red spot on the end of my fly line that I watch carefully when the fly is on sinking or bouncing. Any movement of the indicator tip and set the hook. Retreive the fly slowly, very slowly with just a light bouncing action and watch the tip of the fly line.

TxEngr

Links to the flies -

and

I usually have good luck for sub-surface gills with gray or tan beadhead scuds/sowbugs that have a bit of flash in the body. These work particularly well if there is hydrilla or other submerged vegetation in the water.

In my neck of the woods, the best go to fly for me has been the gurglar for bass and gills. The best color combinations have been green and yellow, black and yellow, brown and tan. I like to mix the colors up with good results. I have been using hook sizes 4 and 6 and having good results with the bass. Smaller hook sizes 8 and 10 seem to attract the gills. The gurglar floats well and the topwater action is what I want.

Have a good one , Pat Carroll