Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Rod and Reel

well i am looking to get another fly rod and reel, i currently have a st.croix with a SA reel. i personally don't think that the rod or the reel are that great, i'm looking for a 3 weight 4 peice rod and i'm looking to try another company other then st. croix out. after looking at company sites i'm looking at the Sage VT2 or TXL series rods, other then price is there a huge difference between these two rods that it would be worth the higher price tag? As for a reel i was looking at a ross reel but no specific model, i would greatly appreciate input on these issues.

Can't help much on the rods. I have a mid-flex Orvis 3 weight that I love though. I would recommend a medium action rod though, much nicer to cast in the light weights. I don't know what the Sages are. I don't like Ross Reels. Just have never really gotten attached to the ones I've had. I have a number of three weights. Most are custom made. Might want to go that route. I can highly reccomend the Marryat CMR reels and the Elkorn T-series reels for the lighter weight reels.

The Orvis I have is a TLS 3wt/8'4". Orvis describes their action by flex point. This is a mid-flex rod or essentially a medium action. I love this rod and have used the heck out of it for a number of years with no problems. It is my favorite small trout rod. I don't know if they come in a 4 piece though. I have heard good things about the Sage Launch and I have Launch in a 6wt. that casts very smooth. Don't know about the 3 wts. Another rod worth considering, I don't have one only because I don't need another is the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rods. I have casted many of their rods and they are really great casting rods at a very reasonable price. In fact, my favorite of theirs is a 3wt at I think 8'9". It was either the Finesse series or Signature, I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was a 4 piece. The best advice is to be patient, search around, test out a bunch of rods, and pick the best one for you. The best names are not always the best rods.

The Orvis I have is a TLS 3wt/8'4". Orvis describes their action by flex point. This is a mid-flex rod or essentially a medium action. I love this rod and have used the heck out of it for a number of years with no problems. It is my favorite small trout rod. I don't know if they come in a 4 piece though. I have heard good things about the Sage Launch and I have Launch in a 6wt. that casts very smooth. Don't know about the 3 wts. Another rod worth considering, I don't have one only because I don't need another is the TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) rods. I have casted many of their rods and they are really great casting rods at a very reasonable price. In fact, my favorite of theirs is a 3wt at I think 8'9". It was either the Finesse series or Signature, I can't remember. I'm pretty sure it was a 4 piece. The best advice is to be patient, search around, test out a bunch of rods, and pick the best one for you. The best names are not always the best rods.

I agree with Old Hat .And the TFO 3wt is awesome . I got to play with one this summer and loved it . And my wife has ensured me that Santa has the model number.

A fly rod is a very individual choice. I fish Sage, G. Loomis, Winston and cane. Find a good local shop that will let you cast a few and decide from there. 3W 4 piece is a great choice, and I use mine a lot. A light rod is great fun to fish. I like my Winston best for fishing, i.e. landing fish. Landing is an over looked aspect these days, I like a soft feel there. A 3 w, you will not be fishing typically in heavy wind or large rivers, so the action does not need to be fast like a Sage or Loomis. Using a local shop, if they are knowledgeable and most are, will be a pleasure in making the decision. And they will gladly help if a repair or problem arises. You could be spending upwards of $800 on a rod alone, so compare many rods in your own way. Admittedly I have only thrown a TFO at the Fly tackle dealers show in the pool, they seem to be a good value, well made, and easy to throw. My only Orvis rod is a 8 W 8 1/2' cane rod, which does not get fished very often, due to its age and heavy size. Orvis is not as popular west of the Mississippi as back East.

Anyway, my best advise is to throw as many as you can get your hands on, in as many situations as you can. Then make up your own mind. You will have it and use it for a very long time.

As for a reel, again many good choices, for a 3W, make sure it picks up line fast when you reel in, larger arbor. Also make sure it is balanced well "weight wise" (not line weight, but center of gravity) to the rod. Drag system to me is secondary for this weight class.

Chose your rod first then shop for the reel.

Thanks my $0.02

Cheers, Futzer.

If I may be so bold, I sell a reel that you might be interested in. They are on my website http://www.fatbluegill.com. I import them from China. It is a mid arbor reel with some fairly low pick up speed. Another words it is not a real tippet breaker. It has smooth bearings and a really nice drag. It pairs real nice with a 3 or 4wt. I have one on a 3wt Matrix rod that I built and I also used it on a 3wt TFO Finesse rod. PM me if you have any questions.

Randy

Be sure to cast some different rods. The rods flex is an individual thing; some prefer full flex rods, some prefer mid flex, and some prefer tip flex rods. If you are comfortable with the way the rod casts you will be able to make it work in just about any situation that calls for that type rod. This is a similar concept to golf clubs or tennis rackets.

The Orvis 8'4" 3wt is an outstanding rod. It is also available in the T3 and Helios series. There is an 8'4" 3wt in the tip flex and mid flex in the Orvis Helios. Just beautiful.

As far as reels, a great one for the 8'4" 3wts. would be the Battenkill Barstock II ($98.00) or the Battenkill Large Arbor II ($189.00).