Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pkrotine

what do you think...

I found this fly on another forum, and did a "version" of it, on a little bit bigger hook. tell me what you think, probably not half as good as some of you guys B)

Crack baby:

PS sorry for the horrendous picture, I will post a better one tonight.

001.jpg

Hook: Orvis 4864 (#16 Big Eye Dry)

Thread: Danville 8/0 Black

Body: Razor Foam, Swiss Straw

Tail: Furnace Grizzly

Hackel: Furnace Grizzly

Could you list the materials used when you post the picture? I will wait patiently for the next picture before I reply.

First off...it is a buggy attractor for sure and much better picture. It is and interesting pattern and I like the idea of small attractors. I don't know the pattern and if it is fished dry or wet. I am assuming dry...similar to a griffith's gnat.

As a dry fly which I am assuming it is with the foam and stiff hackle, it looks like it would be a good floater and attractor for fast water.

One of two things would help...It either needs a still longer hook. I think the fly is crowding the all important point of the hook. You will get more and better hook ups if you keep the point open. There is a lot of hackle in the way and it will act as a weed/fish guard. You could try a longer hook and don't take the body and hackle back so far. Stop it on the shank just forward of directly above the hook point. This will give you the same size fly. Or...just try to thin and shorten the body on the hook your using. This will give you a smaller size fly. Shorten the body or lengthen the hook depending on the size of fly you need and tying the tail a bit longer in both cases will give you a little more balance and help your hook ups. You don't want to go too large with this style of fly for trout (can't answer about warmwater species) , it will fish better in the smaller sizes, of course each size smaller gets more difficult to tie. Anyways....I like the pattern, it's harder than most think to tie this style of fly in these small sizes...I think you did good.

It has worked very well.

the thing that I like about it is, change the color of the hackle and swiss straw and you get another bug. now I must say I don't fish waters that get a whole lot of pressure, so fishing areas with higher pressure, I am not too sure how well that they would fare.

OldHat, thanks for the reply, you are correct, the fly is fished dry. I will be looking for some longer hooks to tie this pattern on, because the small stream trout I fish a lot for seemed to have a hard time eating it. I attributed it to them not being big enough to eat it, but what you said makes complete sense, thanks for the reply!