Fly Tying

Hey computer guys,

If the power supply is too big for the load it normally handles, it will have a tendancy to be very inefficient. That is not a big deal when you have one or two computers in the same room. But I deal with 380 nodes packed in racks with 4 seperate electrical circuits per rack.

I think you said this is the second time you have had to replace the supply. You might want to check the temperature specifications on the new supply. It will probably list a required temp for air being pulled into the supply. Perhaps the supply is going bad because it is getting too warm inside.

Just a couple thoughts. Good luck.

More later,

Ken

Good thought! The new one has an operating range of 0 to 50 C, storage 40 - 60C. Course, now I'm gonna hafta figure out what that is in Farenheit. (Darn metrics...)

My BIGGEST problem is that the only room in the house I can use for the computer is also the dustiest and 2nd hottest! I just set up a fan in there though, and I'm gonna start turning it off nightly. Things are a bit ahead of schedule and hopefully I'll be up and running tomorrow!

I have no idea what a node is. Except for that hard little thing on my heel...

Since the new one is 560 watts, I guess I better buy more new toy--uh-- equipment to pla--uh--work with!

Sweet! I don't expect the room to hit 122 degrees Farenheit so I should be okay. Thanks for the link Bob!

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Jul 22 2004, 07:58 PM)
Sweet! I don't expect the room to hit 122 degrees Farenheit so I should be okay. Thanks for the link Bob!

122 degrees is the max inlet air temp to the power supply, not room temp. You may be a lot closer than you think after the CPU, drives & video card give off heat inside the case.

QUOTE (luvinbluegills @ Jul 22 2004, 05:32 PM)
My BIGGEST problem is that the only room in the house I can use for the computer is also the dustiest and 2nd hottest! I just set up a fan in there though, and I'm gonna start turning it off nightly. Things are a bit ahead of schedule and hopefully I'll be up and running tomorrow!

I have no idea what a node is. Except for that hard little thing on my heel...

Since the new one is 560 watts, I guess I better buy more new toy--uh-- equipment to pla--uh--work with!

Hi Mark,

Each node is a seperate computer. They are all 2 CPU pentium systems running a Linux operating system. We buy these now installed in racks. The last order of 96 nodes fits into three racks, 32 per rack.. The rack is powered by 4 20 amp electrical circuits.

The air conditioning in our computer center in measured in tons of A/C capacity. I'm not sure how A/C can be measured in tons, but I do know that even with all the A/C we have, we are up against the limits and can't add more computers into the computer rooms without removeing older computers. And while we do have lots of A/C, we still have some problems with dust.

Dust is a computer killer. If your computer has to reside in the room you describe, I'd recommend that you open it up at least once a month and use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the case. Make sure the CPU heat sinks are clean and blow out the fans on the power supply and chassis.

In the room you describe, you probably do want to turn the computer off overnight. I have three computers at home and only one of them stays on all the time. And it is in the coolest room in my house.

Be carefull about adding more stuff to your computer. Yes, you have the bigger power supply, but all the stuff you add will likely generate more heat. If the room is warm already, you don't want to take a chance of making even more of a problem.

Best of luck,

Ken

BACK IN ACTION AT HOME, YEAHHHH!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys. I will be turning it off nightly, dusting weekly, and whatever else is necessary 'til I get a better place to set up.