Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oliva

Sea-trout

From last august sea-trout 6 kg from river Rauma

Taken a little Red Butt(size 14)

post-18099-1229553212_thumb.jpg

Yes folks, this is the reason to tie good knots, keep your backing fresh, and your hook points sharp.

Cheers and congrats, Futzer.

From last august sea-trout 6 kg from river Rauma

Taken a little Red Butt(size 14)

and fly(size14)

post-18099-1229711206_thumb.jpg

Two hooks? Is that legal? You tie to tippet through both eyes?

jdubya ,

oliva has tied the pattern on a double hook . I believe the hook style is a Partridge RA1 , a Seatrout fly hook ...... I've been dyin' to get my hands on some , very scarce in my neck of the woods . It is very legal in Europe and certain States and Provinces here in North America . I use Salmon doubles on certain waters where it is allowed in my Province . The fly rides nicely (keels) in the swing and allows me to use floating lines and thin leaders instead of sink-tips . Absolutely the "shiznit" for grease-lining !!!

Actually , my own observation has been that the double hook is easier on the fish since it widens the point of contact in the fish's mouth . That being said , the pressure is the same that is exerted on the fish , just distributed over two points instead of one . Ever land a trout and there was tearing ?? The double hook prevents that . I have no idea why it was banned in some waters ...... maybe just a stereotypical response ??

oliva , great fly :bugeyes: .... for sure it's one of my favourites that sees alot of swinging time !!!

Mike

Well Oliva, after seeing the fly, you are now an honorary member of the Western states 20x20x7 club, even though it was a size 14 and no idea what leader you used. The club is a 20 + inch fish, on a size 20 or smaller fly and 7X tippet or lighter, but a 6Kg sea run brown on a 14, We are all impressed. I have seen sea run browns in South America straighten out salmon double hooks, and stainless salt water hooks.

Cheers Futzer, And as Bud G said about Big Es new house, well when I grow up, I want to come fish your spots. :D