Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Large fly storage...?

How do you keep your bass flies ?

I have four large Morrell foam fly boxes and I have a problem keep them closed.

The flies are to large and the magnets are not strong enough to keep them closed.

I put a rubber band around one and my deer hair flies got a crease from the flies on the other side.

Any suggestions?

How about a video tape box with some foam on the bottom. This will give your flies more head room wink.gif .

Are you just trying to store them or are these boxes you take out on the stream with you?

Will, they are stream side boxes.

For storage I use plano boxes like the I gave you.

Mozes has an interesting idea. To bad the only thing I have in the house is dvds.

May have to go look around for some old beatamax boxes

Any other ideas ?

I use the Video Tape boxes for my stream boxes. Used to be able to get them at BJ's in bulk. I think they ran be $12-15 for 25. Now the problem with the ones I brought were the two projections sticking up from the bottom that are suppose to hold the tape in place. I had to remove them, which takes a few minutes. I picked up some large ripple foam inserts which fit right in the box. It still has it's limitations on what size fly I can put in it. I know it I can't put my shad/bunker imitations in them without flattening them. I have the same problem with salt water flies. I picked some Bass Pro lure boxes up at a show for $1.50 a piece what I've done with them is lined the compartments with foam. These will hold all but my biggest bunker flies, which can run 6 inches long, and 3 inches from top to bottom. I've look long and hard, and apparently no one makes a clear plastic utility box without compartments. If you see one let me know.

How about taking the plastic Plano compartment style boxes and using a razor blade and then putting the foam in the bottom of that dunno.gif

I actually use the Plano 6 compartment boxes on the stream for my deer hair flies. I can fit one Dahlberg per compartment which is enough for a days worth of fishing.

FWIW, most flyfishing catalogs have oversized boxes that will hold the size of flies you're describing. I think that I even use a saltwater box for my deer hair flies. It's a bit deeper and longer than its freshwater counterpart.

Since I used to be an all time bait dunker, I had a Plano guide series XXX tackel box ( Don`t know the exact numbers) that had 4 boxes that actually came out instead of drawers, with the spinner baits and everything on top, but these work good for my flies. I have one section for floaters, one section for streamers, one section for buggers, and one panfish section. They usually don`t stick together, but whenever I find one that I think would, I just get one of the dividers, put it in, and then I know it won`t stick with anything. I have tried using foam in other stuff, but I just don`t like it as much. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck