Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Peterjay

A Day at the Beach

Between working on bizzaro abstracts and doing what every photographer hates, (matting and framing) the mental health situation around here has been approaching critical mass, so last week in a fit of desperation, I did what any lunatic would do on a breezy 15-degree day: I went to the beach. Actually, Harkness Memorial State Park in Waterford, CT. I was also giving a new down parka and a pair of Cabelas insulated hunting boots the acid test (for around here anyway) and they both worked great.

They have a bunch of formal gardens there and the flowers are hibernating, but there's some nice geometry that the snow helps to bring out.

post-281-1232478343_thumb.jpg

post-281-1232478797_thumb.jpg

Anybody who spends any amount of time sitting on an iron bench in this weather will soon be buying Preparation H by the case, but the view of Long Island sound is still nice this time of year.

post-281-1232478766_thumb.jpg

post-281-1232478503_thumb.jpg

Some combination of snow, wind and water left these footprints raised up on the sand. I guess it proves I'm not the only one crazy enough to venture out in this weather. Is it spring yet?

post-281-1232478424_thumb.jpg

Hi Peterjay,

I like them all but I really thought #3 & 4 were awesome. They were beautiful and COLD at the same time; they both gave me a shivers. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

They were beautiful and COLD at the same time; they both gave me a shivers.

Thanks Al. IMHO, that's a compliment of the highest order.

Al, a side note: You asked to keep you posted last winter when I had my 5D commercially cleaned. I was having a lot of trouble with specks of debris and smears that just kept coming out of nowhere. Since the cleaning, (almost a year ago) I've only had to brush the sensor a few times (for single specks) and I've done 2 or 3 wet cleanings. Compared to what was happening before, the problems have pretty much gone away. I guess most of the stuff on the sensor was just manufacturing debris and one cleaning took care of it. The $50 was well spent indeed. The company I used is Precision Camera in Enfield, Connecticut.

Very nice shots but considering the cold winter we also were having here in the Midwest last week, I was hoping for some sun, sand and skin pictures to warm us up. :lol:

Cruncher, if it makes you feel any better, we've been freezing our tails off here as well. I can't recall seeing this much snow along the coast in a long time. It usually melts in a few days, but not this year. Things do have a way of averaging out though; maybe this means an early spring.

Thanks Matt, that's very kind. I guess the fact that I like to shoot in the winter comes from my ancestors, who emigrated here many years ago from Antarctica. I believe they were penguin ranchers.

Thanks a bunch guys; I really appreciate your comments.

John, I like the feel of #3 as well. It printed nicely - I think it's probably a keeper.

Saltydog, I got pretty lucky with that tree, There was a thin coating of ice on the branches, and the rear lighting gave it just a pinch of luminosity. f/11 and be there, I guess.