Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Firetiger

Technicolor Czech

Wheeeewwww Firetiger, that looks like a ski coat I wore in the early 80's. We tie scuds here in neon orange and once in a while pink, for molting scuds, well and none of my fishing buddies will use (admit to using) egg flies. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Futzer.

Oh Futzer, you really should go to some of the techno dance joints which young people frequent. The colors you will see there will make your '80s skiing coat look positively drab :)

I heard a lot about orange scuds being imitative, because scuds absorb carotenoid pigments from decaying leafs in the fall, and pink scuds being imitative because the critters turn pink when they molt. The ones with red spot in the middle are also imitative because a certain parasite looks very similar. I am not sure it is 100% correct but these patterns sure work.

Czech fly fishermen generally do not give much to the imitation/attraction issue. They do not use egg flies here, but that is because they are not known here, not that they would be shunned. Meanwhile they have boxes of patterns like this one

b451.jpg

"...substance abuse required". :D ...80's ski coat. :hyst:

Another wonderful tie! I figure I've "borrowed" all your other czech submissions, I might as well take this one too. :devil:

Oh Futzer, you really should go to some of the techno dance joints which young people frequent. The colors you will see there will make your '80s skiing coat look positively drab :)

I heard a lot about orange scuds being imitative, because scuds absorb carotenoid pigments from decaying leafs in the fall, and pink scuds being imitative because the critters turn pink when they molt. The ones with red spot in the middle are also imitative because a certain parasite looks very similar. I am not sure it is 100% correct but these patterns sure work.

Czech fly fishermen generally do not give much to the imitation/attraction issue. They do not use egg flies here, but that is because they are not known here, not that they would be shunned. Meanwhile they have boxes of patterns like this one

b451.jpg

Firetiger,

What is the hook used for this fly? Thanks.

I really need to start tying some of those czech nymphs.

damn now if only I can figure out how to get that Wham! song out of my head, I could think if tying some flies. :kicking: :punk: :punk: :punk: :bugeyes:

Firetiger,

What is the hook used for this fly? Thanks.

Troutninja, the many colored fly is not mine, the hook is most likely TMC2499SP-BL. My fly is on hook by a Czech guy called Skalka, who I do not think has US presence. Any heavier grub hook will do :)

I tied a dozen of them Firetiger. I found myself wanting a disco mirror ball in the dungeon and now I too have a Wham song stuck in my head. :rolleyes:

They look really cool in my nymph box. Thanks, Jeff.

Scuds do go through colour changes as they get older and die there heads turn an apricot colour and this fly looks like a dying scud and easy prey. Those are great looking hooks, hope to see more flies tied on them here on this side of the pond.

I have used the bright colored Czech nymphs here in Idaho and they work well. Some of my best fish have been on an orange and black combination. Most of the people that nymph out here do not Czech nymph. They simply do not know what they are missing.

Winefly