Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wolfriverfisher

Funny or strange fishing experiences

one of my favorite stories I was fishing the mouth of the east branch of the augres river late june usually a heavy run of SMB come through there feeding on everything it got about 4 pm and the wind had calmed down so I put on a number 1/0 dahlberg diver and started casting over this rather large tree in the water where I seen fish surfacing about the third cast a sea gull swooped down snatched my diver up and headed for the sky not sure what to do I stood there inshock watching this stupid bird take me into my backing line now I have 4 other fisherman debating what I should do when the dnr showed up and informed me that I had to get the bird back and cut the line next to the hook and he would take the bird to a rescue center for treatment let me say this is easier said then done after about 15 minutes of fighting trying to get it back we finally got it to where we could pitch a coat over it 5 beak pecks and dozens of wing flogs later we got the line cut the officer took the biting bird to the local vet and had my fly removed from its mouth and then released it back to the wild to bite again I never got my fly back but to this day I have a sea gull feather in my fishing hat from that bird

My dad told me a story from when he was a kid. He took a walk with his girlfriend back in the woods to this old dam on a brook near his parents cabin. He found some fishing line with a hook and sinker on it , and he tied it on a stick. Then he looked around for something to put on the hook. He found a big black cricket , so he put that on his hook and tossed it into the pool below the old dam. All of a suden the water errupted and a large brown trout grabbed the cricket and his stick pole didn't have a chance and broke in half and the fish got away. The next day he went back with a real fishing pole , and found another big black cricket and tossed it into the pool and the brown hit again. This time with a real fishing pole he managed to catch the fish. It turned out to be a 23 1/2" Brown Trout one of the biggest that he's ever caught in his whole life. I've managed to catch several browns that big or bigger , but he's got me beat on Brook Trout , Walleyes , Northern Pike , and largemouth Bass. At least i got him beat on Brown trout because that is my favorite fish to catch - Followed by brook Trout. His biggest Brookie is 19" and mine is about 18 1/2" - Maybe someday I'll catch that 20" Brookie and beat him in that catagory also. I'll have to just keep trying. Wolfriverfisher (Craig)