Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j74snook

Spun Hair

I have got the spinning down pat but the trimming is a bit of a nightmare for me. Once its cut off iits gone. I seem to end up with a smaller body than expected. If I see a spot that needs to be trimmed I'll trim and it will get to short and have to cut rest of body to match :wallbash: :wallbash: . I am using a sharp razor and scissors but just getting horrible results. :help:

It is like sculpting, sneak up on it, cut roughly to the outline, then finish with a sharp razor and do the final form. Cheers Futzer.

Yep, once its cut, you can't put it back on. Spinning is pretty easy, the tough part is trimming and should be done with caution. Normally if I spin I don't use a razor blade because with spinnig its tough to get it nice and dense. the denser the hair the easier it is to use a blade. I would have to see a B4 and after to be more helpful but just take your time when trimming only taking small snips , until you have tied a boat load, its like anything else practice is the key

I put it on pretty dense. I pack it hard enough to where hook begins to bend. The blade i used was a like the ones you use in a window scrapper. I am going to but some shaving razors that flex and try that next time and will post befor and afters to get more help. thanks j74snook

I rough cut with scissors, and I mean rough...Cut your body a lot larger than you want to teh point it seems silly. Then get those old fashioned two sided razor blades from teh drug store. They flex and hold a curve for shaped bodies. Again, just nip a bit off and work slowly to where you want the body. After 5-8 flies, you'll be a pro. Another point, those flex razors cut fingers very well also. I put a small piece of tape on the ends to help hold it. Good Luck...

Bruce Knows! Stack it, pack it, and Whack it. That's definatly the problem most folks have spinning and stacking is that they don't pack it tight enough. Stacking masters get it so tight it looks like cork after being trimmed. The only way to learn it is to practice, practice, practice. Then go to a few shows and watch some "hair masters" and pick up some tricks and tips, you'll be amazed how willing most tyer's are to help teach beginners. Good Luck