Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Extra Flies you have

Well it looks like all the swaps that i have joined in and the tying that i have done i think i need to come up with an ideafor storage. dry.gif

You see after recieving all the other flies plus what i tie end up with no more fly boxes to put flies in.I have as of last night made a little bit space by removing all the little flies like egg patterns and small nymphs into test strip bottles from my daughter that she uses for testing her sugar. blink.gif

I also have found use for all those Altoids containers.But still only leaves me with 2 empty fly boxes out of 8.

Just was wondering what all the other members here might do when you run out of fly boxes?

Let see what idea's all you others have or have come up with. bugeyes.gif

Trout Traveler

for nymphs i just put em in a plano plastic box since there isn't any hackle to really screw up most of the time by packin em in. for streamers I hang em on foam. and if you saw my workbench, you 'd know where all my other flies are.

steve

What works for me is to use embroidery floss boxes. Cost is very cheap ($3.00 CAN), and they hold 17/18 different patterns. I have 10 of them labeled on their ends. Great way to store and sort flies. Going fishing for bass: pull the nymph, bugger, and bass boxes fill up and hit the road. As the number and types of flies increase, it is easy to increase storage for them. In the end I keep my fly boxes for the river.

Art

I use 7 or 30 day medication organizers (available at Wally World, Walgreens or Target). They cost from $ 1 - 5 and store bunches of flies. I also use them for hooks and beads. You can upgrade them by putting an adhesive magnetic strip on the bottom to keep hooks under control.

I havent tried it but read that video cassette cases work well and are inexpensive. Just glue in foam insert, makes sense to me.