Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
artimus

Integra 7/8

Got my new Integra 7/8 reel and a Fenwick DT8F line. THE DAWN LINE DOESN'T FIT!!!

I have no room for backing and the line fills up the spool and then some. Any suggestions? wallbash.gif

Art

Had the same problem once with a DT4F line that I installed on an Orvis Battenkill 3/4 reel that had been previously spooled with WF4F line+ backing. Had to remove all but 25yds. of backing to get it on. ive_been_ripped.gif I do like the way double taper loads a slower rod so the sacrifice was made...no big deal. I believe most reels on the market today make line weight designations based on the assumption that a weight foward line will be used, which, as you know only has 20-30 ft. of belly then quickly tapers down to the running line having a significantly smaller diameter. DT is basically all belly...a fat level line. May be you can exchange it for WF or go to the bigger reel. Worst case try for swap on the trading floor . dunno.gif Best of luck to ya,

A.A.

How long is the line - over 100'? - you can choose to: cut it in half, making two weight-forward sections with a lot of flat belly line; cut it in thirds; make flat profile heads out of the center; use the halves with their tapers to make weight forward sections by finding out how much head you need to have out to load the rod and shoot the head before you cut off some of the taper, which you've reversed and tied into the backing, and several other scenarios.

Or, go pick up a WF8 with integral running line, which you can shorten by giving up some of the running line to reel space, or get a shooting head only and marry it to some running line.

What have I forgotten, guys?

Dfix,

I quickly thought of and dismissed cutting the line, as the thing is brand new!! BUT, BUT it is an idea that I'm still toying idea. I ended up just getting another line (WF). Not as nice as the DT. I'll either spool it on another reel or cut it in the future. Crisis over tongue.gif

Art