Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Alternative to macro lens

has anyone used these close up lenses for taking fly photos? http://www.adorama.com/CA58CU250D.html?sea...D&item_no=4

i am looking for a cost effective alternative to buying a dedicated macro lens to take a few fly photos from time to time. Although at close to $90 it isnt far off the price of the Canon EF 50 f/2.8 lens.

has anyone used these close up lenses for taking fly photos? http://www.adorama.com/CA58CU250D.html?sea...D&item_no=4

i am looking for a cost effective alternative to buying a dedicated macro lens to take a few fly photos from time to time. Although at close to $90 it isnt far off the price of the Canon EF 50 f/2.8 lens.

Joe, you might want to look at some extension tubes. They also enable you to get closer to the subject with the lens you already have. I used closeup lenses years ago, and I wasn't particularly thrilled with the way they affected contrast and color. I think Jay's had some experience with tubes, and probably some of the other guys as well.

Thanks for the suggestion - i didtn realize that the extension tubes would work witha regualr lens, for some reason i thought they only worked with macro lenses to make them more "macro-y" I still have a lot to learn

Crotalus,

Don't know if you know or not , but apparently you can use lenses from old slr's. If they are auto you can use them on the auto settings on your dslr, at least that was what I was told. I am still saving for a good Canon DSLR, I have a few SLR's , old ones with a crap load of lenses I pick up at pawn shops. Pawn shops might help bring down the price for a "dedicated" macro for you. I may be wrong as far as using the older lenses from slr's though so check first.Good Luck!!

Hi Joe,

I stumbled on something on Ebay that might be of interst. It is a 2X extender that also has a macro feature. I don't think they are manufactured any more but here is what I got:

Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter MC

As I remember the price was less than $75.00. The down side is it doesn't support auto focus but I don't use that when I'm shooting fly pics anyway. I'm sure having a bunch of fun with it; it could be an option for you. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hey Joe,

My experience with closeup lens is limited to a weekend trail a few years back. I did not get the quality or close-up potential I wanted, but already had a bias favoring a macro lens and was looking for an excuse to eliminate other options. I have seen some beautiful shots taken with closeups (see John Shaw's Closeup in Nature for some impressive photos). I saved enough to buy a 60mm/2.8 macro lens and rationalize the purchase by using the macro for a short portrait lens, why limit the optical quality to closeups?

I have not used extension tubes, but am interesting in experimenting with them some day.

Good luck.

Yes. I have a set, don't buy them they are not worth the money. You can definitely see a difference in the quality of Macro Shots when using Close up rings. You're better off buying an extension tube as Peterjay suggested. If you search eBay you might find a good deal on a used 1:1 Macro Lens but be wary of the seller. Try B & H Photo in NY http://www.bhphoto.com/ they sell used equipment, and have a reliable grading system 10 - Like New, 9 - Very Minor Wear and so forth.

Crotalus,

Don't know if you know or not , but apparently you can use lenses from old slr's. If they are auto you can use them on the auto settings on your dslr, at least that was what I was told. I am still saving for a good Canon DSLR, I have a few SLR's , old ones with a crap load of lenses I pick up at pawn shops. Pawn shops might help bring down the price for a "dedicated" macro for you. I may be wrong as far as using the older lenses from slr's though so check first.Good Luck!!

This can be done with an adapter, you just won't have full auto mode.

I just wanted to add my two cents worth and second what Russ said about other uses for a macro lens. I bought my 100mm Canon macro with the intention of using it for ice and sand mini-landscapes, but I found that for that admittedly narrow purpose, it wasn't really an improvement over the 24-105mm zoom that I already had, and I missed the zoom capability. BUT - the 100mm macro turned out to be an amazingly sharp portrait-length telephoto that was just what the doctor ordered for photographing my wife's paintings. Much less linear distortion than any zoom, great contrast and a fine all-around lens. I consider the money well spent, even if I never use the macro capability. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for all the input guys. Our anniversary is coming up in May and the Mrs. just asked what i wanted. I think i am going to go with either a Macro lens or the extension tubes and a better tripod.

If I may add: In a budget, you will get a lot more use out of the macro lens, I too would suggest that route. It isn't just for macro, it is a prime lens and has many different applications that it can be used for, including but not limited to portrait/modeling photography. I know of many high end photographers that use macro lenses on commercial shoots.