Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Foam Caterpillar

This fly is just for fun. I have no idea if it'll work or not, but I know that similar Inch Worm patterns can be very successful. This one is 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" in length.

Comment appreciated !

Cheers......Fred

Read the instructions.

Still trying to figure out how you got the hackle only in the indentations.

i have a co-worker who ties a similar pattern in pale yellow and white and, believe it or not, sinks it with BB shot to bounce it in the bottom of riffles for channel cats....he claims it's a great pattern when the catalpa worms are moving along the Salt and Dix Rivers here in KY....I just love working with foam! Great looking fly!

Still trying to figure out how you got the hackle only in the indentations.

Ok Bob, I'll try to make it more clear.

Attach thread loosely to the needle. Too tight and your body won't slide off. We'll be moving left to right here.

Attach the foam to the needle with a small section which has been tapered down a bit. It may help to add a half-hitch.

Move the thread to the right on the needle. Attach the hackle feather with the stem to the right and the feather pointing left. Then bend the feather back over to the right so that when you wrap the first body section you are actually going to wrap over the feather. Once the first section is formed (not too tight) you can then pull the feather upright and it'll be in position to wrap in the groove.

I did 2 wraps, then 1 or 2 thread wraps over the hackle to secure it, then pulled the feather to the right over and then under under the needle. The thread gets moved right also into position to start the next section.

Do 4 sections on the needle, tie off then remove from the needle. At this point I added a drop of Zap a gap to the first tie on section to hold the wraps. Then I trimmed it a bit. You can see what I mean on the right end of the fly in the picture. ( I turned the fly around for the picture, it was actually tied from left to right.)

From here you mount the body on the hook and continue the process.

I hope that helps......Fred

So the unwrapped hackle, that is going from indentation to indentation, is inside the foam?

When I've tried these types of flies in the past, there is hackle in the grooves and hackle between the grooves when it moves to the next groove. Doesn't look very good. Never thought of passing the hackle and thread inside the foam. Sounds tricky but workable.

or

do I still misunderstand?

Yup, although as you can see from this top view photo I have some work to do to get it neater. As I do more I'm getting better at it.

gallery49d3ffd0a02ec.jpg