Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining!!!

Had a dear friend of mine who had been begging to go with me to a local hotspot. Finally I compitulated and agreed. I told him I would be by to pick him up at 5:30 am . Be ready or be left. Well, he was still asleep....had to wait for him to get his gear, get his coffee, take out his trash, and then pack his gear in my truck. On the way to the stream, which is an hour away, he has to stop to pee, twice, stop to eat once, and argued with his wife on the cell phone the whole time. We finaly got to the stream around 8:00. It took him 30 minutes to get his gear together and rigged. He bitched about the bugs, the humidity, the trees, the bugs some more, then about how long it took to get here. We hiked about an hour upstream until we came to a nice riffle that usually holds nice smallies. I left him to fish that pool, while i moved upstream to a less fertile spot, giving him the best opportunity to catch a nice fish. We fished for hours and finally gave up after a few dinks.

On the way home, he is once again arguing wtih his wife. Then he proceeds to tell her that today was a wasted day and how he should have stayed at home, and how i left him to fish by himself, and how the bugs ate him up all day. When we got to his house, he got out the truck and said, and I quote "Man that was fun, when you want to go again?" I just looked at him and dropped the truck into "R" and expressed my dismay by scarring his drive way, which shall serve henceforth as a reminder of that "fun" day.

I had a similiar experience with a guy I worked with.

At the time I was a backpacking junkie, and would hike 200 miles a year in the Smoky Mountain range. Anyway a guy a work always heard me talking about my trips and he begged me to take him. I ended up scheduling us a 30 mile loop which would consist of 3 days and 2 nights in the wilderness. He was all excited, went and bought a bunch of gear. All he ever talked about was how much of a "nature boy" he was and we just knew that he was gonna be a backpacker for life.

I knew it was gonna be trouble when we started our trip and he was just flying up the trail. I think we gained about 3000ft in elevation that day and he was trying to run up that mountain with a 40lb backpack on blink.gif

I think he was just trying to impress me our something, I'm not sure. But I kept telling him that at this pace we are gonna make camp by noon. He didn't listen. When I'm out like that I like to take my time and just enjoy the surroundings.

Anyway we get to camp at noon and here we are 10 miles from the nearest road, car or building in the most beautiful area and he kept complaining about how board he was and how he was wanting to see if we could make it to the next day's camp.

I told him that seeing how many miles I could do in one day was not what I had in mind!

The next day came and went through the same situation. Got to camp at noon, ate some lunch, and he started talking about walking out the vehicle a day early. I then informed him that I was enjoying myself and didn't drive all that way just to walk out early. So he decided to go ahead a walk out that day and I was left there all by myself. It really was the best thing, because it did somewhat salvage the trip and really enjoyed my time alone in my favorite place on earth. I didn't give him the truck key so he slept in the back of the truck(no cap) that night with no tent. It would have been great to get a big rain that night.

Anyway we get back to work and he starts telling everyone how much he loved it and asked me when we were going again. That's ok I ended up buying all of his practically brand new gear from him for pennies on the dollar!