Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiahermansfly

Pupa #2

Thought I'd give it another go tonight after thinking about how to tie it all day. I thought about it so much that it only took me 15 minutes to tie! Not bad for a semi-realistic! The wing case is raffene unrolled, colored, then glued, and finally folded in half. I allowed it to dry and then cut out my wing bud shape. The thread was brightened up a notch but the rest remains the same. Midge D-Rib over the thread, sheet lead as a base, sow-scud gray for the thorax picked out, a brown partridge feather for the legs and antenne, and finally a piece of 20lb mono with the ends singed to create those bug eyes!

DSC01746-1.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

Top profile needs a little work, but I can't think of many fish that have eaten to a fly below them. I need to work on this skill and read up a little bit on throat style hackling. That's really what I was going for with the partridge.

DSC01751.jpg

Cheers,

~Brett

I like it. I'm going to have to try tying this one in the near future. Is in the Database?

Nice, it looks like something they featured in fly tyer magazine

You may be referring to the cat gut caddis someone tied recently. I've burnt that image into my head. It was one of the best ties I've personally ever seen!

Thanks to you both, and Rich it isn't in the database!

~Brett