Fly Tying
dryfly7

need advice

hey,

I am 14 and have tied for a year and still learnin patterns for trout and mastering flies. Im having trouble catching fish right now goin into the dog days of summer. What flies should i tie to start landing fish. And also what fly or flies should i start tying for the fall?

please help

Where are you fishing (state) that makes a difference in what is hatching.

here in MI right now the major hatches are winding down and the next "decent" hatch that will bring big trout to the surface will be ephoron leukon(white fly hatch) but till then i stick with bead head nymphs for subsurface and hoppers for top water at this time of the summer.

SD

Well not sure were your from but this time of year the terrestrial patterns are a good go to.Like your Hopper patterns or streamers.

Also take a look at the fly pattern data base.Alot of flies to look through.Each fly as a how to for the most part in tying them.

For alot other advise you have come to the right site.

Also try dry's if you see a hatch happening.This time a year on hot days your morning's and evening's are going to be most productive.

Hope i could help some it's late.

Trout traveler

We've got alot of PA guys on here so i'm sure they will be able to give you more "local" advice but i think your hatches are pretty much the same as ours so i'd use the beadheads and terrestrials right now.

SD

I lve in Michigan now but grew up there. Lower burrell area but schooled in kiski.Late night.Have tried Nashannock creek yet.or tried Buffalo creek.lower section.Brother has caught some left over trout this time of year in bufalo.

There are alot of other guys from your area. look for J Johnson and Brainfly on the site,from yor area.

tt

I'm from Southeastern PA so I am not familiar with your area, but I would think that beetles and ants would be good patterns to tie.

I don't usually fish for trout after the water goes above 70-75 degrees so I don't really fish terrestrials that much because there aren't as many around during the cooler weather. Some terrestrials are around, but the Trout have other food sources that they see more often.

Small midges and mosquito patterns should get a response, even an Adams tied in midge sizes usually produces a few takers. Size 18, 20 and smaller

Check with a local flyshop and ask about the hatches for this time of year. There aren't too many, but maybe you can catch an early, early, early morning Trico hatch.

As far as Fall is concerned, the trout will probably still be keyed onto midges. As the water temp starts to drop or in the early morning or late evening, try minnow patterns and wooly buggers. I usually get my biggest fishes of the year during the fall on minnow patterns and wooly buggers.

Egg patterns can also work well in fall if there is any natural reproduction in the streams you fish. Even if there isn't any natural reproduction, there still worth a try during the Fall.

Good Luck,

Chip

I've been running into the same scenerio, just like last year

Fortunately, I was able to go into the archives to see how we remedied this. It seems that the trout get spoiled by our major "big fly" hatches and hardly target the current food available, not to mention the abundance of terrestrials and other forage like frogs, mice, worms, ect.

I started using some "macro" nymphs. These are tied with lead wraps for depth and go as large as a 6 and quite buggy. Behind them I'll fish a wet to match the current hatch. I really don't understand that the wet will not take fish without the nymph as an attractor, but the fish will take both when fished in tandem. dunno.gif

user posted image

Another from Western Pa !

Dryfly7,

What are you fishing for?

Trout fishing in SW Pa is about at a stand still. If your warm water fishing. What are you targeting ? Let me know some specfics and I'll direct you the best I can.

Welcome to the board !