Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiahermansfly

Somethings just cant be improved upon!

I've been working today on a new split back pattern. I always liked the old split back pattern and it surely has produced plenty of fish for me. While breezing through Jason Neuswanger's site (TroutNut.com) and started looking again at local hatches. One I came upon was the Ephemerella Invaria, or more commonly known as the "bigger" sulphur. Dorothea, or the "smaller" sulphur, is well represented by this bug, the split back pmd. Everyone should know that it is of course a pattern to represent an emerging pale morning dun, or Ephemerella Excrucians. All of which are pretty darn close if you ask me. Colors are very close. However I couldn't find any bugs that had a claret/maroon tinge to them as the original pattern calls for.

One of the other things that really bothered me about the pattern was the overall shape. It's a very conical pattern, whereas the bug has a thin and wide abdomen, with broad shoulders forming a head.

So after looking at a bunch of different images, I decided to sit down at the vice. Here's what I have so far.

workinprogress.jpg

I'm not very happy with any of them. But as you can see I've got the overall shape and colors down. Now I just need to figure out a way to get those broad shoulders I'm looking for.

Any Ideas? I've already tried playing around with mono to get the correct shape at the shoulders...I failed miserably with it. I'm interested to hear from the other tiers as to what they'd try.

~Brett

In the past to make wide flat bodies, I use lead wire tied paralell to the hook sometimes 2 or three pieces on each side of hook. It

does make for a heavy bug. also seen foam used as well as lead sheets. just some ideas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Brett,

Nice flies, I am unfamiliar with the split back nymph. Do you know the origins of the pattern?

I would love to know how the split back wingcase is tied and what material is used?

In regards to your imitations I think your being a bit hard on yourself. They look pretty good to me :thumbsup:

In regards to the shape;

You could try tying the wing case material in at the tie in point wind/overbind to the eye of the hook, leave the material overhanging the eye.

Tie in a thick stiff piece of mono or some dumbell eyes to add weight. If using dumbells make sure to fill/level the gap between the eyes with dubbing.

Dubb the thorax from the front to the tie in point.

Pull the wingcase back over the mono/dumbell and tie off/whip finish where the wingcase ends. I like to add a sparse whisp of dubbing to the thread when I whip finish a nymph in the middle of the fly (to disguise the wraps)

Would love hear more and see some samples of your latest attempts.

Thanks for sharing