Jump to content
Fly Tying

fiahermansfly

core_group_3
  • Content Count

    61
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About fiahermansfly

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 11/28/1982

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://thetroutaddiction.blogspot.com

Profile Information

  • Location
    Tennessee, US
  1. Got out of tying about two years ago, just thought I'd brush up with a semi-realistic stone. Haven't fished in wayyyyyy to long, let alone posted on here. Here goes nothing!
  2. How did you create the head and get those fibers to curl like that. It's like hair dressing with a fly! Freakin sick! :headbang: Prolly one of the coolest lil streamers I've seen in a while! ~Brett
  3. I'm a bit flaberghasted by your response and I appreciate your response! Makes me want to tie some more. There are alotta great tiers on here, I too enjoy seeing there work! ~Brett
  4. I've been working today on a new split back pattern. I always liked the old split back pattern and it surely has produced plenty of fish for me. While breezing through Jason Neuswanger's site (TroutNut.com) and started looking again at local hatches. One I came upon was the Ephemerella Invaria, or more commonly known as the "bigger" sulphur. Dorothea, or the "smaller" sulphur, is well represented by this bug, the split back pmd. Everyone should know that it is of course a pattern to represent an emerging pale morning dun, or Ephemerella Excrucians. All of which are pretty darn close if you ask me. Colors are very close. However I couldn't find any bugs that had a claret/maroon tinge to them as the original pattern calls for. One of the other things that really bothered me about the pattern was the overall shape. It's a very conical pattern, whereas the bug has a thin and wide abdomen, with broad shoulders forming a head. So after looking at a bunch of different images, I decided to sit down at the vice. Here's what I have so far. I'm not very happy with any of them. But as you can see I've got the overall shape and colors down. Now I just need to figure out a way to get those broad shoulders I'm looking for. Any Ideas? I've already tried playing around with mono to get the correct shape at the shoulders...I failed miserably with it. I'm interested to hear from the other tiers as to what they'd try. ~Brett
  5. Steelie, your awesome...Though I'd almost feel like cheating printing off a set of wings. I'm prolly gonna give it a go..I thought about using construction paper and taking a piece of fine grit sand paper to it before coloring. I'll give em both a go! Thanks everyone for your quick responses! ~Brett
  6. I'm looking for a grade 1 (A++) Hungarian Partridge skin...I want it dyed yellow...A dirty yellow, but yellow none the less. The only place I could find in twenty minutes of searching was Orvis. Everyone has natural colors, and I already have a cream cape. Or can someone point me in the right direction for a feather that is barred similar to a mallard wood duck flank or partridge in yellow. This is for a fishable semi-realistic sulphur specifically invaria. I'll be using the material for the tails as well as the legs. I just figured out the dubbing portion of the fly tonight by a blend of two dubbings. Now all I need is a dealer in skins with quality skins for sale! Thanks in advance. ~Brett
  7. I'm wanting to attempt a mountain butterfly particularly a blue mountain butterfly...Does anyone know how to create the wings...I've been web hunting for an idea and have came up dry. I'm wanting that cloth look, like the natural. Thanks in advance, ~Brett
  8. Yes, legs, antenne, small stone tails, etc. Ullfe Hagstrom ties some wonderful semi realistics with em! Your lucky to find a hide...to buy 1 oz of quills is over $40. buckeroo's ~Brett
  9. I'm not sure what CA is. The body is 5 minute epoxy dropped onto a non stick surface and allowed to set. Once set the edges should allow you to mold them ever so slightly around the hook shank. Then the hook can be glued in place with more epoxy. The coloring to the bug was done with acrylic paints and permanent markers. Everything else on the bug is 5x Monofilament and black tying thread. AndrEs & Fly, thanks again guys! ~Brett
  10. Alright, I'm done with this fly...I refuse to look at it anymore. I didn't care for the cdc and the way it came out on macro, so I scraped it off and used Fred's drop in dubbing technique. I also reworked the permanant marker to the bee's abdomen and killed off most of the yellow. Then I put roughly two thick layers of dubbing allowed it to almost dry completely and then more thouroughly worked in the dubbing. The sulphur orange dubbing did the trick and it looks better now, but I know I'm capable of a better finished product. This was a major learning lessong and I appreciate the tip Fred! I've also picked up a much better leg material now. I learned alot but I won't be coming back to the bee for a while. On to things that are creepy and crawly. A spider is in order! Thanks for your alls input as always! Fred thanks again. ~Brett
  11. Rock! Solid pattern. I wish I had the material now too! I saw something similar at my local craft store, looks like I'll be paying a visit! I'm sure the wife won't mind! Great work! ~Brett
  12. Looks better than the original! I like modest use of osterich when used as a hackle, like you've done here! Great tie! ~Brett
  13. Noice, I just want a wasp of yours now!! ~Brett
  14. I believe I'm about as done with this lil bugger as I'm gonna get....Fred, I wished I woulda thought of the dubbing idea earlier. I'd say it would have produced the look I was hoping for. I'm satisfied with it. Here's the final, and it looks sooo much better in person. 1ft away and you don't even know it was and imposter! It would appear I have some learning to do! I believe I'm done with realistic's for now. Caddis season is upon us folks here in Tennessee! Thanks again, Brett
×
×
  • Create New...