Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
lykos33

identifying feathers

Here is my problem,I always seem to have a problem don't I? Most of the capes and feathers I have I bought from retired tiers or were given to me. There is no tags or bags saying what kind of cape or feather they are. The only ones I own with some sort of id are the trash I first bought from Wally World (Crystal River trash). Does anyone know of a book that has pics so I can id my capes? I would just post photos on here and ask , but, the wife has the camera in Calgary, and the last time I tried to take a pic of a fly with it...let's just say she is lucky to still have a camera... So any ideas out there? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Lykos, Well, to be honest you are probably SOL. Metz did tattoo the skin side for a while. More importantly would be the information to grade the quality yourself, and basically be able to use that information to apply the feathers in the correct situation. With Photos I would be happy to help get you started.

Cheers, Futzer

Futzer is right. It's hard to tell where the capes came from just by looking at the feathers. The cut of the skin or size of the cape can tell you quite a bit. Many of the capes you got from the retired tiers may have preceded even the introduction of Metz, so they could be best labeled "India necks"which were almos tthe only thing around fro many years. Don't toss those because they are the best source of dry fly tail material you can find today. The stiffer stems on the feathers from those capes make the best quill body dry flies, and the tips of the feathers can make great dry fly wings, like the Adams.

In short they are all usable.

My mistake gentlemen, when I said I had no ID, I meant of what type of feathers. Not necessarily the producer, the actual product....like a sparrow or pheasant or two toed Australian booby. I'm getting to the point where I can pick up a feather and say,"good for a dry fly" or "that'll make a good soft hackle". I just don't know what bird it came off of.I thought maybe there was a book someone may know that showed bird capes and ID's them. I am not too concerned with names of suppliers...until I start purchasing them.

Lykos,

I do not know of any particular book that would have pictures of a bunch of different birds or capes. My recommendation is to get a couple of fly tying material catalogs or go online and find online catalogs and look through the photos. Cabelas has quite a few different pictures in their catalog. Pheasant, amherst, partridge, starling, etc... Quite a few sites have pictures of capes and saddle hackle with the color names.

If some of the capes are older, you may have some skins that are no longer available for purchase.

I would post some pictures once you get your camera back and maybe the forum can let you know what you have.

Rob

Hi, Lykos. Do you have a local fly shop? Or taxidermist? I was wondering if you took your feathers in to them, if maybe they wouldn't tell you what's what.

Mike

Hi, Lykos. Do you have a local fly shop? Or taxidermist? I was wondering if you took your feathers in to them, if maybe they wouldn't tell you what's what.

Mike

You would think being in Atlantic Canada (streams and brooks and lakes and rivers everywhere) that there would be fly shops everywhere. I've yet to find one on Cape Breton. I know there are a few in Nova Scotia, but that is quite a ride for a fly shop. I think until I can get to a real shop or get some pics for the forum's perusal, I will follow rstout's advice and get some online catalogs. It will take a lot of searching but I have already discovered I own some Lady Amherst skins and a few, what I think are, Pheasant heads and capes. Once I get the camera back and figure out how to get some decent pics out of it, I will post for confirmation. Thanks gents!

Pretty hard to find anything on Cape Breton! :P Give Bryant Freeman a call at Eskape Anglers here in Moncton/Riverview. I'm sure he'd be able to tell you what you have over the phone and would enjoy doing it, the guy's amazing.

(506) 386-6269‎

http://www.salmonflies.com/eskape/

Try Fly tying Materials by Eric Leiser. Library might have it or google it you never know. He has pictures of the more common feathers but showing us pictures of what you've got will probably get you the fastest answers.

Hi Lykos, my mistake, and my first answer is mostly Chickens. :rolleyes: Cheers, Futzer

With Pics I can help.