Fly Tying
flydoc

Caddis

Wing: home made medalion wing

What are homemade medalion wings made of? Did you just cut them by hand, use a pattern? They really look great to me, as do your flies. Congratulations!!!

Ray

Medalion is a thin plastic sheet found in tying stores or online. it can be used for all sorts of wings and even 'exploded' shucks on emergers.

as seen by flydoc's pics it takes colors very well. it's available in several colors but i find the versatility of clear best. just color as needed.

it's ridiculously expensive for what it is... but it does the job very well and is really easy to use with a cut-out or by hand with scissors.

both of those bugs are very nice flydoc ! B) great catchers for sure.

cheers,

marc

edit: finally got that damn 'bait fisherman' thing of my back :yahoo: :D

Thanks, Marc, I just ordered some from J Stockard after I read your post. Also, I'm glad you joined us. I love the knowledge base we accumulate by having tyers from around the world!!

Ray

Terje,

I'm glad you're back! Or mybe I'd better rephrase that; I think your were gone fishing and haven't been posting as much. I have been away from the computer a lot this summer, too, so I haven't been reading or checking the site regularly either.

I'm ready for some more of your woven flies. I know you don't use the same product I do, which is larva lace. I'm tying them, but my methodology is not yet as consistent and well done as your's. I am making progress though.

Post some of those great flies!!

Ray

The only thing I don't like about medallion sheeting is all the commotion it makes when you're casting...... but it's durable as you'd think it would shred itself with all the flapping it does but it holds up.

Marc has already given the answer to your question "Medalion is a thin plastic sheet tying found in stores or online. I accidentally came across the film in a local Chinese store, the color that I used is the color of hair using our ladies. On one film I used the default color (brown) and the other co darker (black) and blindness by using heating iron. For a wonderful miracle I got almost identical medalion as sold in stores.

Yes, I wing shaped hand using scissors, no wing burning tool, and almost all forms manually.

Excuse my bad english language.

Thanks for all!