Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Second list of Products

Well, since nobody...yet...got mad at me, here is my last years list............ Here is my top 10 useless flyfishing products. Keep in mind these are my opinion only and is not necessarily "useless", but I consider them so for the money you are being asking to buy these for. Also In some cases it is the presentation in Fly Cataloges that earns a spot....so here goes. NUMBER 10.. The first catagory to earn a top ten is line displays in fly cataloges.. Here's the test... You get a free fishing hat from yours truly if you can find the line you need in under 10 seconds, no cheating... I really can't find anything in those presentations let alone the line I want with all the lines they have for sale these days.. wasn't there a floating line, an intermediate line and a sinking line once?...now if I want one for stripers I need to look for the "northeast summer single taper green colored striper line", If it were that easy that would be one thing but then I have to figure out if I need the deep sink, not so deep sink, slightly deep sink or a bit slightly deep sink,,I am not even going to look at the intermediates..because I am sure I will have to stop and go to the bathroom at some point..Now to get the hat, you are left to the honor system...no dialing a friend ,or asking the audience..ok....NUMBER 9---Whitlocks Line splicing Kit--It's not the product so much but what they tell you .For around $25 you get a product they say that will significantly improve your casting, presentation, fly performance, and hooking and playing the fish....DUH... I better not try splicing my lines anymore the old fashion way... now that I just discover why I am such a bad flyfisherman. NUMBER 8---Gear Keep Net retractor....This little bueaty says you will not have your net springing back and forth as it catches branches...as you walk though the woods...Good, Because I always wanted my fly vest torn from my body anyway.... and it's only $26.99.... NUMBER 7---The Tiemco De-Barb Plyers...only $21.95...You know to crush barbs.HHHHMMM..they look good and I am sure people will see that I know what I am doing..that's very good..... NUMBER 6--The Hart Stainless indicator Comb--- now ,you didn't expect me to avoid an indicator product did you? after last years list... well, this product is cheap for $8.95 and I can also use it on my Mustashe...so it can't be totally useless. Can someone educate me on how this works on little yarn strike indicators and exactly what it is suppose to do... Preferable the person who wins the hat....nevermind. NUMBER 5----Sun Checker UV protective gloves without figers.. so you won't get skin cancer on your hands...only $15.95..they look good ,feel good and are like a second skin I am not sure what happens if you get skin cancer on your exposed fingers... HHHmmmm ..Looks like another invention from me.. I'll work on it... I like the second skin thing... But I never liked using second skins, anywhere on me.. natrual lamb ribed skins are ok I guess.... Number 4... we are getting there...Hodgemans Wader back support belt..only $23 ... You know,to support your back while standing too long.. It's a bueatiful piece of scrape neoprene wader that some Einstein thought up to get his Christmas bonus.....what to do with all the scape neoprene that was building up...what to do...NUMBER 3----Fishpond Leader Tippet Guage.. for $20 you can..ah..you can..well it says it is an absolute necessity to build and repair leaders.. I am not sure what it does. ...NUMBER 2 ....OK..these are two products..one is the "Loop Master "and the other is the "Wulff Wrist Lock" Basically the Loop Master, as oppose to the Loop beginner or amateur.... was developed after 20 years or research and trials to force the caster to stop at the correct position in the cast, It developes correct muscle memory... but it also says you can use it for fishing TOO!.. and it's $30.00.... the Wulff one is more Traditional..it's just a piece of plastic rubber band with Mr. Wulff's name ..it's only $11.00..... I always say that it's important to learn the right way...Why go though a learning curve.. I am going to invest in this.The prospectus for the product says it is really taking off helping parking lot attendants with those little red flags show you the proper entrancce to a parking lot. You know ...remember how confusing it is when your driving your car and you are looking for parking at the ball game and you really can't tell which way the flag is pointing or waving... well ,this baby will square those guys. But I would wait to see how it does with them before buying..just a word to the wise. Finally NUMBER 10... and my favorite... and most expensive.. The Kestral 4000 Pocket Wind Tracer---- only #329.00.This honey will track major environmental changes..it says...Water temperature, current speed, wind speed and altitude..It better not track attitude or I would have a real problem with this... If you just care about wind speed you can get the chopped down version for only $119. The bueaty in this item is that while you pull out your mini binoculars to fix a position with your pocket GPS.. fondling your trusty Compass incase the batteries run out... and pull out your Motorola Walkee-Talkee.. checking the weather there as well... you will have no problem avoiding nasty little head winds as you head back to your car to get the fishing rod and reel you forgot. wink.gif wink.gif rolleyes.gif

When I went and purchased my first fly reel they asked me what type of line I wanted on it and I said "floating" and they went on with a list of what seems like 20 different types. I think I just closed my eyes and pointed at one, I'm still confused by all the lines!

As always, I truly enjoy reading this annual list - and when a REPEAT list makes me laugh more every time I read it, you know there's some thought been put into the product!!!

Destined to become a Must-Read and Annual Classic! Congratulations, Striblue!!! Keep up your Good Work! rolleyes.gif

(p.s. - I don't have a clue as to how to win the hat, either dry.gif )

Remember the movie Moscow on the Hudson?

A scene were Robin Williams is in a gocery store looking for coffee ?

Thats how I feel when I'm looking for a new line !!! wallbash.gif