Fly Tying

2004 Fly Tyer of the Year Contest!

I am very excited to announce we are launching the 2004 Fly Tyer of the Year Contest. The members that were around last year will remember the great event that we had and the remarkable set of flies that was submitted despite only given a few weeks notice. If you wasn't around last year Click Here to see the pictures of last year's submissions. The moderators and I have been working for quite some time to improve on last year’s contest and we feel this is going to be a really great event.

Category Improvements

This year we have 17 different categories and each member may submit one fly per category. Last year we only had one category for each species. This year we have multiple categories for each species. For example we have 5 Trout categories so that dry flies will only compete with dry flies and will not be competing against nymphs. This allows each member to submit more flies per species and should make judging a little easier. Just like last year the flies are due December 31, 2004 so you have plenty of time this year, I don’t want to hear any excuses.

2 Specialty Categories

This year we have two specialty awards that should make this years contest a lot of fun. The first is “Rookie of the Year”. Last year the moderators got together and gave Redneckfisherman the award, but this year if you have been tying less that one year the flies that you enter into the main contest will also be entered into this category.

The second is “Most Creative Fly”. This is unique category that you must tie a fly specifically for. You may enter one fly and there are no rules pertaining to the design of the pattern. Any materials can be used and it doesn’t necessarily have to be tied to fish with. I’m really expect to see some crazy designs in this category so you guys better not let me down.

For all the official rules and details visit: http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest . On the right hand side you will see all of the available categories.

Now that the contest is launched I will be working on prizes for all of the winners. This year I am hoping to get a few places to sponsor the event and donate some nice stuff. So stay tuned and I will announce prizes as I secure them.

With the membership that we have now and the amount of time given to tie your flies I am expecting a very big turnout this year! This contest is really about just having a good time and having a chance to see everyone’s work and progress over the past year, so if you don’t consider yourself a great tyer submit a fly anyway!!!!!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Have fun with it guys

Will

thumbup.gif I can't wait! Thanks Will! thumbup.gif

One question though. Do we need to submit 3 flies per pattern like last year or is one fly per pattern enough this time around? I didn't see that on the rules page but I probably missed it. Thanks!

This year we are only doing 1 fly per pattern instead of three like last year. I figured that would make things a little easier on everyone.

Is there a link to exact categories yet? Like are you going to have smallmouth subsurface and smallmouth surface categories? Bluegill subsurface, surface etc? Also is there a link to last years winners so that we can get an idea of how good our flies have to be again?

John

are moderators and administration eligible? No way am I tying a saltwater fly if I have to go up against Striblue

john

John,

Yes all members are eligible for the contest because I will be hosting it and the voting is all anonymous.

You just might shock yourself. Bassturd's saltwater fly won the whole event last year, so you never know.

I CAN`T WAIT!!I`m gonna win 16 out of the 17 categories. The only one I can`t win, is the rookie of the year, the one I won last year. LOL. I do have a good idea for a creative fly. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Ooooo, I got some good ones planned to send in. This year I'll get them in.

John, Don't bother tying any trout flies or one for the most creative flex.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif

QUOTE (redneckfisherman @ Aug 17 2004, 07:18 PM)
I CAN`T WAIT!!I`m gonna win 16 out of the 17 categories. The only one I can`t win, is the rookie of the year, the one I won last year. LOL.

Ah, the humility of youth... rolleyes.gif

I have one small change to the categories. We now have 3 categories in the Salmon and Steelhead category and they are as follows:

Steelhead

Salmon

Great Lakes

I did have a "West Coast" category but didn't realize that title alienated some of the tyers on the board. So we now have seperate Steelhead and Salmon categories so that it accomodates all of the members. The 3rd "Great Lakes" category is for all the guys that fish the great lakes because the flies used there are completely different than flies used elsewhere.

Any questions let me know.

I just may have to give this a try.

y'all might consider reconsidering now since the trout fly competition is already sewn up.

HA! as if...

mgj