Fly Tying
Seadog

Dubbing materials

I keep pulling dryer lint from the vent on the dryer. I keep thingking this would be good for dubbing.

Has anyone ever used dryer lint for dubbing material? Would you have to prepare it in any way before using?

Hi Seadog, Often it will consist mostly of cotton, so it will absorb water, which will be fine for nymphs. I like the sparkle qualities of synthetic dubbing for my bugs. Also often a mix of long fibers and short ones, which dryer lint is more evenly sized.

That said, there is no rules against dryer dubbing.

Have fun, Cheers, Futzer.

I may be wrong, but I read an article about getting dry fly dubbing from the dryer. I believe you needed to get a white polar fleece sweater, then run it through the dryer a few times before washing it, then wash it and run it through a few more times, I guess you get a wack load of synthetic dubbing real easy. You can then dye it to what ever color you like after that.

I have an old bluish-grey wool sweater that I put in the dryer specifically for the lint. Have yet to try blending colors or different materials in the dryer. But why not!?

It should work ok. I get mine form my belly button.