Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chrismartin

Giant Woolly Bully

Bull trout! Really? I had no idea that they would take a fly that big... it's close to 6". Maybe that's a new market I can begin to tap into.

Bookmarked :headbang:

I picked up a bunch of those hooks at troutfitters a few weeks ago and I can't wait to try them out.

CF

ChuckingFluff, are you from the Fergus area. I bought a heap of those hooks too. Best price I've ever seen on quality salt water hooks. I think I bought 10 packs. Do you like chuckin' fluff for water wolves? The are some pretty sweet, top secret pike holes in the area. Maybe we should get together and bag some giant Esox.

I'm about an hour away in Ancaster; I pass through Fergus when I hit the brookies on the upper saugeen. My favorite fish are the snot rockets. Theres some great waters all around the area.

Oh yeah, I use 6-8 inch flies for them. I once hooked about a 10-12" rainbow and when I got it about 8' from shore had a bull trout come out of no where and completely swallow the fish while I was playing it. Scared the @#&! out of me. No match for my 4wt.

Here's how we grow them in Oregon. Vicious buggers they are. Found this slide show just trying to find you some pictures. I am not affiliated with this at all but these are good samples from this system. All bull trout in Oregon rivers are catch and release and there are only a select few that you can purposefully target them. There are some lakes that you can keep them from.

Central Oregon Bull Trout