Fly Tying

Hello! Don't think I have posted here before, in the cold water forum I mean, raised a little cane in the warm water forum a few times though, heh, heh. Any who I was curious if anyone would be willing to answer a few questions which will be posed shortly and offer any other constructive advice they may have regarding our topic. Not much dough floating around these days so the closer to Louisville and more public the better. I'm aware the Cumberland is still going to be the best bet for weight and numbers despite the damn dam issues but I have never fished it, really I know next to nothing about fly fishing for trout in water bigger than Indian Creek or a small reservoir.

1) What sorts of flies work well or, more accurately will I be able to present correctly, for a guy used to making his presentations to small stream smallies?

2) Is it worth dealing with the Ft. Knox fiasco to fish Otter Creek, is it a fiasco?

3) What do you guys think of East Fork Indian Creek, Herrington Tailwater, Sinking Creek, any others close by I'm leaving out?

4) Any interesting reads maybe?

Thanks a lot everybody, much obliged.

Herrington is a nightmare right now....above average spring rains and an unseasonally wet summer have keep the tailwater high and sometimes hard to navigate in smaller boats...best bet would be two rods...one with a floating line, and one with an intermediate sink tip....your classics will do the trick : Bead head Hare's Ear, Prince nymphs, Tellico nymphs, and midges....can't have enough midges. Baitfish patterns also work for the larger browns as the tailwater boasts a healthy and varied baitfish population from the dam all the way to the confluence with the Kentucky.....only catch is the tailwater is completely surrounded by private property and must be accessed by boat from the Wilmore boat launch just immediately below High Bridge...the ramp is in disrepair and steep...4wd the best bet if the ramp is wet...I think Colonel Mel fished it recently...you may try PM'ing him for a little advice. The tailwater has a lot of sandstone cliffs and palisades...beautiful in the "canyon".

Midges take fish in the Cumberland year round, but especially this time of year, but don;t be afraid of chucking Clousers (8-4) as the bigger browns, 'bows, walleye, and even stripers/hybrids will hit them, especially if you are fortunate enough to catch the water rising with an alewife kill from the dam. Took several slot fish with Clousers the last trip down....tied them to look like rainbow fingerlings and varied my retrieves from super stripping them to dead drifting them. Sometimes you can pop a decent fish with a sz 14/16 dry (I like a Light Cahill) this time of year...

Indian Creek in the Red River Gorge had bridge repair on an access road so check with forest service to see if the road is open. It was closed a while this summer. Swift Camp has had a heavy D.H stocking so has Rock Creek in McCreary Co. Or do as I do head to the Smokies.

Randall Sale

theKytroutbum

Cave Run tailwaters (Licking River- Farmers/Morehead KY----Rowan County) is an often overlooked little spot that can be hot with stockers this time of year....Several little streams in the Rowan/Elliot County area have potential this time of year...midges and Griffith's Gnats are usually the way to go.

Thanks everyone, great info! Had a good time in that magic hour before dark on the stockers in Big Bone a few weeks ago. They couldn't resist the#14 yellow crackle back, it was like Bill Dance or something.