Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uffepuffe

A couple of more with bird fur

Here's a couple of more pike flies tied with Whiting bird fur. The pink/brown one is using a detached body for more movement.

sDSC04019.jpg

sDSC04004.jpg

Great....now I have to buy MORE materials... sweet looking bugs man. I bet they have killer movement. Is it similar to marabou?

Looks interesting; I like it! What are your thoughts concerning Bird Fur overall? I've been dubbing Finnish Raccoon for big flies, but this looks like it may have more movement in the water.

Man I wish I could see your pictures (not your fault), anal retentive company that blocks photobucket. Anyways, I saw a guy tying spey flies with that stuff, really long strands when you wrap it around a hook. Great material.

Thanks guys!

Aftershock, here's how the head's are done: http://ulfhagstrom.blogspot.com/2009/10/ho...eamer-head.html

DaFunk, yes it is a little simillar to marabou but on the long feathers you have like long sadle feathers and marabou in the same feather, it's great! =)

JJD, compared to Racoon I find that bird fur soaks much less water and I think it's easier to work with.

ChuckingFluff, I've also tied some spey shrimps with it before, but when I realized I could also use it for pike flies it got a lot more interesting =)