Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Scud

Winged Wet Flies

I'm tying winged wets now and wanted to know if I have to follow the patterns? I found patterns on Global Fly Fishers web site and don't know if i have to follow those patterns or just make things I like.

Are fish that particular? Is it the specific combos of colors or just bright colors? I know we mostly tie for the fisherman and not the fish but you never know. I know that Steelie patterns wont work for trout so I don't want to waste time on my own when they won't work. Thanks

Jeremy

Hi Scud

I read with interest your question regarding winged wet flies. Obviously there are patterns out there that are proven fish catchers and when a pattern has proven itself many tyers copy it and so the success perpetuates and so on and so on.

Trout see color and more importantly to the tyer they recognise certain profiles of food items in their diet. Most winged wet flies are taken (in my opinion) as emerging insects and depending on the wing angle somtimes certain nymphs.

I tie winged wets to my own specifications very often and have success but if you were to ask what pattern would I choose to catch effectivley in many cricumstances it would be classical patterns like a winged march brown or the invictor as pictured.

I hope this helps to answer your question

Tight threads..........Mike............................................ B)

post-4021-1259194158_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike. I like to tie some of them with the bright floss bodies. I am going to get the recipe for the march brown wet. I guess I can tie the same type of pattern with hares ear dubbin and a turkey wing. I think I'll try it. Thanks

Jeremy

Wanted to know if I have to follow the patterns?

Ans: absolutely not.

Are fish that particular?

Ans: Sometimes.

Is it the specific combos of colors or just bright colors?

Ans: Yes... and profile...and size...and presentation...and water conditions...and.....

I know that Steelie patterns wont work for trout.

I would have to politely disagree on this one.

Not trying to be disrespectful by any means, not in my nature, just being honest. Your questions are not uncommon. They are specific questions that are often asked and entire books have been written answering each. In short, as Mike alluded to, it really is dependent on the water you fish. Part of the joy of tying is to develop your own flies through your own experiences with certain fish in different systems under different conditions and fitting into the style of fishing you enjoy. Trial and error. Time on the water. Good days and bad. If you want to try the winged wets, pick a few of the proven general patterns, the ones that you think might fish well on your water (the march browns, the hare's ears are always good to start with). Try them out, see how they do, tweak the colors and size to your water, find a couple that work (try to answer how, where, why). Then go from there into the dark abyss of pattern development. Most of all just have fun doing it.

THanks Old Hat. I know patterns like Eggs and the like will work but I was thinking of stuff like Steelie Stones with bright pink and purple thorax.

I will tie some of the traditional wets and see where it takes me. I tie some soft hackles in the traditional patterns like orange and partridge and the like. I guess it's time to experiment. Thanks

Jeremy

Just to reiterate in short form what the other guys have said - In all other styles of tying sometimes you tie established patterns and other times you make up your own without question. Why not winged wets too?

I like to tie wets in color combinations that are proven to work with panfish in patterns that are simpler than tie than many of the classics. That way I don't feel quite so bad when I lose one.

Deeky

if you want the fly to resemble the photo - then follow the recipe

if not, then tie what you want to tie. nothing is cast in stone as far as recipes are concerned