Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dwiltshire

S-Loop, or not.

The S-Loop nymph has become a significant part of my nymph box. I believe the 'wing' perhaps represents legs / a splitting shuck / opening wings... Whichever, it is an effective little pattern - and the loop certainly helps to hold bubble of air which makes it very attractive when wet. Perhaps it even changes the way the pattern swims. It works well as an ascending nymph - fished with an induced lift. However, I carry them with and without the additional wing.

So here are are some examples, all tied on #20 hooks - with and without the loop:

DSCN8066.jpg

DSCN8072.jpg

DSCN8083.jpg

DSCN8087.jpg

Hook: Varivas 2120WB #20

Ballast: Tungsten bead, orange 1.5mm

Thread: Hends Grall, mustard

Tail: Mallard

Wing (if present): Mallard

Dubbing: Squirrel

Those are great looking little flies! What would you say your preferred ratio is between tossing the winged version and the unwinged? The use of the loop wing design for a nymph is something I don't remember ever seeing. It's a nice conceptual leap.

Oh, and by the way, great images! I love the float shots!

Those are great looking little flies! What would you say your preferred ratio is between tossing the winged version and the unwinged? The use of the loop wing design for a nymph is something I don't remember ever seeing. It's a nice conceptual leap.

Oh, and by the way, great images! I love the float shots!

Thanks David.

The loop wing nymph came through my intention to tie small but intricate nymphs. These and biot nymphs make up 90% of my nymph fishing now.

I tend to fish the s-loops when there are a few flies hatching - the extra resistance caused by the materials does make them fish a little higher / sink a little slower; even with tungstens beads (especially only 1.5mm).

There's a tying SBS here for the technique: http://www.riverflybox.co.uk/sloopnymph.html

Very simple, I am sure you'll agree ;)

Nice step by step... and thank you for the additional information. The slower sink rate makes sense, and would understandably be a better choice for situations where you need the fly to remain in the top zone longer.

Nice step by step... and thank you for the additional information. The slower sink rate makes sense, and would understandably be a better choice for situations where you need the fly to remain in the top zone longer.

You can, of course, do away with the bead entirely and grease up the loop - hangs tantalisingly in the the top few inches B)

Thank you for sharing that Dave. Very interesting pattern. You may have just got me back at the vise again after a long hiatus. Thank you again my friend.

Thank you for sharing that Dave. Very interesting pattern. You may have just got me back at the vise again after a long hiatus. Thank you again my friend.

No worries: I found one of your tyings from a KKFD swap recently and wondered where you were.

Trust all is well. Now get tying!

All is well, as I hope it is with you. We have been battling lots of snow this year. I just get busy with work sometimes and last year I think I burned myself out on too many swaps, go figure. Back at the vise soon.