Fly Tying
carolinafisherman

What material is this?

Howdy folks, I'm trying to figure out what material this is. I know that the tail is marabou, and the body looks like marabou too. Is it dubbed on, and if so, how do you dub with marabou? Or is it that leech yarn? I'm not sure what to make of it. Any help is appreciated!

Tight lines

-CF

IMG_1471.jpg

Okay, great! Thank you for confirming my suspicion. Now that I know what all the materials are, how does one go about tying it? I tried dubbing the marabou, but am not too sure how to do it. Any suggestions?

Tight lines

-CF

Its simple enough. Yes just tie in a short tuft of the stuff at the end, and then dub the marabou on as a body. You might try dubbing wax to make it easier.

First of all, cut the maraboufibers off. Don´t rip them off, the fibres will be bundled together by the part of the stem that comes with the fibers when you rip them off. Then just dub it to the thread with some force to make sure that they stick to the thread. Don't take too much at once, do it in portions instead so you can make sure that they are properly dubbed.

I would just tie the tips of the marabou in as the tail. Then tie some more by the tips at the base of the tail. Slightly twist it around your thread to make a rope and wrap it all forward. If the fibers are long enough just use the left overs from tying in the tail and wrap them forward.

Okay so I should tie in the tail fibers, and then for the body use the entire feather (including the stem), or just cut off some individual fibers to create the rope? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do I wrap an entire marabou feather (with stem) around my thread to create the rope? That sounds like that might be what the tier of this fly did. I disected one of them to try and see what he did, but I lost it so I can't show y'all any pictures of the material. :wallbash: Also, these flies aren't too durable. What would be the best way to tie it for maximum durability?

Thanks and as usual, tight lines

-CF

Yup, this is exactly how I tie most of my damselfly nymphs. Tie a clump of marabou for the tail followed by some wire ribbing. Once the tail is secure, wrap the butt ends of the marabou forward to form the body. Then, rib the wire forward over the marabou. I reverse-rib mine like a pheasant tail for added durability. I've only used this technique on hooks no larger than an 8 though. For a large streamer, tying in additional feathers for the body might be helpful.

Hope this helps,

Evan