Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
trizkid

night time pattern for current river missouri trout?

plan on fishing atleast one night on the upper current river in missouri. i have never done this before but have heard anything that is big on the surface should be good. just wondering if you guys on here have any patterns or advice....thanks alot guys

I've fished the Current a lot, but only a few times at night. The few times I have night fished it I've had success with many different streamers with one thing in common. They were all black. Buggers work well but I like sculpin patterns better. Their fat heads push water which helps get fish's attention when they can't see them. As far as surface patterns go I'm sure mice would work. Search the pattern database and you should find lots of patterns. Another thing to consider would be any bass flies you already have. Pretty much any smallmouth streamer makes a great nighttime trout pattern.

Mike

For fishing after dark, I often use larger wooly buggers, streamers... baitfish patterns in general... and I either go very dark on the pattern, or very light, like chartreuse or white. I fish them very slowy, with small twitches, or fast aggressive strips. Never know what's going to work after dark. If the fish can find it, they will likely hit it. Mouse patterns on slow steady long strips tend to get great results too... around here and in New England, they are killers for big browns after dark.

Hey triz...

Ive done the current a few time at night..

so Im no expert when it comes to the current..

But everything we use on Taneycomo at night.. work on the current..

Last year just below Tanvat... I hooked into sometime (on the PMS) that headed downstream jumped.. and the 2 guy 100yds upstream came running... they new it was big also... my best brown at night was a 18lbs.. this thing made it feel like a baby!

big sculpins would be good... if your not afriad to loss one or two..

big rock and big log are all over the bottom of the river..

not all that much casting room.. it narrow enough where you really cant get in the middle, and cast..

big snapping turtles, snakes, and beavers are all over the river.

Triz..

let me know when your going to hit it... If I can maybe I can get over and play too..

and if you change your mind... there is alway Taneycomo, about 4 hours away

Sounds funny. But have had alot of fun @ night for surface trout with black #6 deer hairbug. Just cast to the bank or structure. Pull acrossed water at a steady strip.

I agree!!!

But night time surface trout is all about the timing , the moon phase, the weather condition...

I love throwing surfaces flies in the right conditions...

In Aug/Sept/Oct.... Try throwing a hopper or madam X at night they explode the surface

This post has got me thinking. PMX's work great during hopper time on the Current, so I figure a PMX with a glow in the dark para-post might be very productive at night.

Mike

I agree!!!

But night time surface trout is all about the timing , the moon phase, the weather condition...

I love throwing surfaces flies in the right conditions...

In Aug/Sept/Oct.... Try throwing a hopper or madam X at night they explode the surface

Could you expand on this? Share some of your observations. Out west we seldom get the chance to fish at night. I think learning about nocturnal behavior would help me with my early morning or late evening fishing

Wow, I didn't realize so many posters fished the Current River. I caught my best brown there at dusk/dark, big #4 black Bugger. Big female brown slammed it. I've heard and read accounts of big trout in this relatively small river. I've never fished it at night. There's a lot of critters around, and it's, uh, almost noisy/creepy, the sounds of the insects at night there, depending on the time of year of course. I'm trying some mice this year, hopefully with good results.