Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremi

Czech Nymph Colors

How in the world do you come up with colors for em!!? Ive seen some pretty crazy colors. Also do the larger sizes work well even if the naturals are much smaller in the stream?

for me when i tie czech nymphs which is the main nymph i fish.... the color combos are endless. I like the thorax to represent a natural color like olive, brown, grey. when fishing for wild trout. when fishing for stockers i like whites, reds, and pinks because that color seems to work better on the stockers. The hotspot is mainly personal preference colors that are out there such as orange, pink, red, chartreuse. There is an entire science on which hotspot color to use on the color of the light outside but i dont pay attention to that much. the color of the head i mainly use a dark natural color such as a black or grey. Come up with different color patterns with different shades on your nymphs and see how it works for you. you might be surprised. and finally try and match the color of czech nymph to what is in the stream. turn over some rocks and leaves to figure that out.

as far as big czech nymphs people have various theories which i believe all of. But if you are really czech nymphing then you do need a larger fly or another czech nymph to act as your reverse indicator or anchor fly. So to answer your question yes i think the larger still catch fish even when the naturals are smaller..... like this someone puts a french fry in front of you.... then someone puts a burger infront of you. which would you eat?

I am not the worlds best czech nympher or anything just my favorite way to nymph and to fish in general. I know there are several people on this board who are actually from czech and will be able to have a much better insight.

How in the world do you come up with colors for em!!? Ive seen some pretty crazy colors. Also do the larger sizes work well even if the naturals are much smaller in the stream?

since they basically represent scuds and caddis larva, simply match the colors of the scuds and larva in your area.

Thanks fellas. I may scare the sh*t outta the trout in my home stream with size 10-12s!! usually catch everything on size 16-18. But there is some fast runs about 3ft deep i would like to "czech" out. :rolleyes:

guys, do you realize you are making me blush really badly? :lol2:

Jeremi, the CZ nymphing style need not be too confusing. People go on inventing new patterns and color combination, because that is the nature of fly tyers. You can't change that. But you should realize that you don't really need all those fancy patterns. In my honest opinion the pattern is less important than "reading" the stream, choosing the proper spot and presenting the flies in the right depth and manner (dead drift).

In most situations you can do with a olive or tan CZ nymph. Sometimes it pays to fish fly with a hot spot - I use hot orange on olive and hot pink on a tan nymph. Since you are fishing a cast of two to three nymphs it is easy to find out what the fish like rather fast.

In really muddy water I use a highly visible pink nymph and in really high water I use a tungsten beadhead as an "anchor" to get my cast of flies to the proper depth.

This in total makes 6 patterns; a good base on which you can elaborate futher.

czolive.jpg

czolive2.jpg

cztan.jpg

cztan2.jpg

czpink.jpg

peepingcaddis.jpg

Jindra

This in total makes 6 patterns; a good base on which you can elaborate futher.

Nice flies. :)

Thanks for sharing.