Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cussfly16

Galways Spawning Chub

So this was inspired by a chub that I caught recently in spawn colors. This was the first time in a long time that I worked with deer hair, forgot how messy that was! To all the deer hair connoisseurs I know its not perfect, but I fully intend to have a toothy brown rip it to pieces so I just got it close...

Nah, Paul. I don't think t needs to be trimmed at all. The material appears to be marabou. Should collapse and taper nicely when stripped. Would love to fish it and find out!

Hey thanks Hub and you are correct in that it is almost all marabou. Marabou feathers effectiveness can not be stressed enough, that stuff just straight out catches fish! Yeah riffle, my deer hair skills need some work, I don't know if I even used the right hair....lol. As far as the shape of the head, I just did that to the shape of a chubs head roughly, I will leave it to the Galloup streamer line to get it down.

Again, Cuss, great fly! are you fishing it on the surface, with a sink tip, or have you tied it weighted? Would make a very respectable goby pattern for Great Lakes smallies as well. Really feeling Paul's vibe for the pheasant on this one.

Hub, I have tied it unweighted. I fish it on a sinking line with a short leader to get it just a bit above bottom. I did not even get a chance to fish it yesterday on the Oconaluftee as the big brown stones were everywhere and the fish were keyed in those..... Yeah, I love the pheasant feather incorporated on the side, I did it first on that Olive Feather Sculpin I posted a while back and now I try to work it in as much as I can on streamers. The really cool thing is the rooster hackle for the tail, it swims so enticingly swishing from side to side. Here lately, I feel like all the streamers that have so much flash and synthetics are starting not to produce as well on the high pressure waters that we fish, so I have reverted to all natural materials and it seems to be making a difference....

Pat, just looked at some of your outstanding deer hair bugs. Feel free to borrow as i believe you will probably improve the fly with your deer hair work. As a matter of fact, if you would I would really like to see what you do with the head or any other improvements.

Agreed, FB....would make a great sculpin. Loving this, Cuss...just loving it. Looking forward to your next submissions!