Fly Tying
NJ All Day

Finicky Bass...

A lot of people are against taking bass off their beds, and I usually don't, but to get a spawning bass to bite you have to annoy it over and over and get a reaction strike with fast jerky movements. You need to chose a fly or lure that resembles a baitfish or shad and just twitch it over the bed and the bass will eventually strike, especially if it thinks it is a bluegill trying to get the basses eggs.

Crawdad and lizard type flies also cause the required response from bedding bass, although I don't recommend this type fishing in heavily pressured areas.

Not necessarily during the spawn, but any time the bass are in shallow and are being finicky, I like to throw a little bit downsized #6 bead chain Clouser. Tie it fairly sparse, in more neutral/natural colors. When you strip-pause a bead chain Clouser it almost suspends because it is falling so slowly. I sight casted to a cruising bass last summer with a white/black bead chain Clouser, stripped it hard to get its attention then paused, I watched the fly suspend, and the bass flared its gills and sucked it in. I've done this a lot, but that bass went 19", which is pretty good for a small Ohio public lake! :D