Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

Telluride CO

my family and I are going to Telluride mainly to fish. We will be there for a week so I was really hoping to get some inside advice from the area. My main concern is tying the flies we'll need the first few days. I never believe what a fly shop tells me because in my experience and from talking to some owners a lot of times they simply tell you whats hot is what they need to get rid of. Id hate to tie a pattern that was useless. Not shooting for negativity just hope to put my dad on some fish is all. I dug up a book in my collection of fishing literary and found some info on some of the rivers but not so much. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Being from Arkansas we don't see stonefly hatches or green drakes or hex... Sometimes but not usually on the bigger mayflies. I don't know how it compares to fishing a March Brown hatch here to fishing a stonefly hatch there. Hatch charts, flies, info on rivers, access would all be very useful. Thanks guys and tight lines with thick wallets!

JRod

sorry i forgot to mention we leave tuesday.

The two main rivers around Telluride are the San Migul, and the Dolores. Nether are very big, or known for big fish. Your plain jane nymphs, and drys work just fine. EH caddis are a prime fly on top #16 mostly. Also humpys, and adams in the same size. Down under something with some flash are good. Copper Johns, and princes are what I use. Hope this will help you out.