Fly Tying
CharlieD

Rangeley Centennial

Great looking fly Charlie! Most of the flies I tie are trout flies. When I look at these type flies I always notice the heads? What type of cement/lacquer do most tyers use? The heads always look so neat and perfect.

Very nice fly.

Well, depends on the tyer. Usually you have to do a couple coats to build up a nice head like that. Really depends on the product you're using. I use nailpolish. LOL. Sally Hansens to be exact. An awesome tip I learned off the internet years ago (thanks to my friend Hal and Fred off another board). But is readily available, can get in a variety of colors, and usually is cheaper then head cement. Also has a brush applicator already installed. LOL.

Beautiful fly Charlie. I've seen that fly once before as a tandem, I like your streamer rendition better.

Flyman,

I use 4 coats of nail polish on my display flies.

Sally Hansens seems to be great stuff. I have been starting to use it. On this fly I used Cellire. It's about the best head cement I could find for a good hard, glossy coat. I will have to see how the Sally Hansens works out. So far so good.

Thanks for the tips. I've used nail polish for saltwater flies before, but the heads never looked like the flies I've seen here bugeyes.gif I do remember having a problem with the consistency of the nail polish. I tried to add nail polish remover, it turned the polish cloudy wallbash.gif Can anyone tell me what I might be able to use to thin it? Or, would I be just defeating the purpose of using the polish?

Yup, all I use now is Sally Hansens. Much cheaper and good variety of colors. LOL. Plus, doesn't dry up like actual "head cement" does. Man, no matter what I do, I have to thin it, which never seems to work again after that. LOL. But no problems with the Sally Hansen. One real benefit of the internet, anyone can learn something new. Never would've thought about using nailpolish, until a couple friends on here convinced me to try it.