Fly Tying
tonysurface

Which Dyna King vise to purchase?

I have searched the forum for this question and didn't find an answer. I currently tie on a Renzetti Traveler. I want something more substantial. I want to purchase a Dyna King but I can't decide on a Supreme or a Barracuda. Has anyone gone from rotary back to a standard vise? Any problems? Any pros or cons? I really like the Supreme but I don't know if I will miss the "true" rotary action that I have on the Renzetti. I don't do a lot of rotary tying except on Brassies and Copper Johns. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Most of the time I tie on my Renzetti Traveller, but I also have a Supreme that I use as a 2nd vise or for big flies. That being said, I really wish I had a Barracuda, and an Ultimate Indexer is probably in my future. Everytime I go to a non-true rotary vise, I feel handicapped. I do not tie rotary style often, but I do rotate the fly a lot when tying, and I miss the even tying profile whenever I switch vises. And every now and then I do tie true rotary as well, so I only get so much utility out of an old school style vise.

YMMV.

I have a Barracuda. Great vise. If you've tied with rotary, I can't imagine you'd want to go without it.

FWIW, I tie on a Griffin Montana Mongoose and the Barracuda is now used by my kids and tying visitors. Might be worth looking into that as an option.

I have searched the forum for this question and didn't find an answer. I currently tie on a Renzetti Traveler. I want something more substantial. I want to purchase a Dyna King but I can't decide on a Supreme or a Barracuda. Has anyone gone from rotary back to a standard vise? Any problems? Any pros or cons? I really like the Supreme but I don't know if I will miss the "true" rotary action that I have on the Renzetti. I don't do a lot of rotary tying except on Brassies and Copper Johns. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've gone from conventional vise to 'never a conventional vise again' and partly back to 'the most convenient one'... and the vises sharing my bench are a Barracuda Ultimate Indexer and a Supreme. In my opinion, both vises (vise types) have their pros and cons:

S+: Only the size of the Supreme is a heavy pro to me. It doesn't take up as much space on the small tying surface of my fly-tying bench as the Barracuda. It's also a more convenient traveller (and is always the one taken to tying nights with my friends).

S+: Placed on top of the shaft, with nothing behind it, the Supreme's head is a more comfortable hand rest than the Barracuda's (on its horizontal extension).

B+: It offers the inline rotary. However I don't think it makes it a disastrous con for the Supreme, since the jaws can be rotated on that one too. When having the jaws set in a not too steep angle to start with you can still tie with the hook rotated to an up-side-down position, even though the shank won't be perfectly horizontal. If you ask me, the level of the inline rotary vise pro relies on how often you practice actual rotary tying, not on how often you turn the fly to tie on the other side.

B+: More space below the hook.

So, once I said "I'll never tie on a conventional vise again.". Today I tie just as much on the Supreme as I do on the Barracuda... and just like there are situations where I prefer the Barracuda, there are situations where I prefer the Supreme.

/Nick

I have a Barracuda. Great vise. If you've tied with rotary, I can't imagine you'd want to go without it.

FWIW, I tie on a Griffin Montana Mongoose and the Barracuda is now used by my kids and tying visitors. Might be worth looking into that as an option.

That Griffin Montana looks like a pretty nice vise and a pretty good deal considering the accessories they throw in. I always thought that if I won the lottery, I would get a Dyna King Barracuda, which would never happen. That Griffin may be a nice affordable option.

Kirk

I currently tie on a Dyna King Barracuda Indexer as my primary vise. I will tell you that I enjoy the vise very much. I personally prefer tying on a true rotary, just for the sake of being able to wrap materials easier. The index feature I use primarily to cure epoxy.

That said, I've had my eye on a Supreme as well. My travel vise is an HMH Spartan. Nothing inherently wrong with the Spartan, but it doesn't hold saltwater hooks quite as well as the Dyna King.

For bench use, I prefer the Barracuda. If you're someone who ties a lot on the road, I'd buy the Supreme and use the heck out of it.

I currently tie on a Dyna King Barracuda Indexer as my primary vise. I will tell you that I enjoy the vise very much. I personally prefer tying on a true rotary, just for the sake of being able to wrap materials easier. The index feature I use primarily to cure epoxy.

That said, I've had my eye on a Supreme as well. My travel vise is an HMH Spartan. Nothing inherently wrong with the Spartan, but it doesn't hold saltwater hooks quite as well as the Dyna King.

For bench use, I prefer the Barracuda. If you're someone who ties a lot on the road, I'd buy the Supreme and use the heck out of it.

The Ultimate Indexer from D-K, with its tiltable shaft, doesn't have to be a bad travel vise when it comes to size, just because it might look large on the bench. It has a larger and heavier pedestal base than the Supreme, but using a smaller size base (Trekker/Supreme size) as travel base, or a C-clamp...

Here in/with D-K's medium sized travel pouch, that I normally use for the Supreme:

post-15497-1287227219_thumb.jpg post-15497-1287227242_thumb.jpg

/Nick