Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bad fish rising

waddington shank question

i want to start useing shanks but not sure what size to buy

i want to tie large trout/steelhead swingflys but i have trouble casting dumbbell eyes so i am a little worried about the weight

my choices in sizes are 15mm 20mm 25mm 35mm 45mm 55mm

does anybody know which one has about the same weight as the dumbbell so i can buy the one just under that

thanks for your help

Are you saying you want to buy the size of shank that will be equal in weight to the dumbell eyes you are using, so that you don't have to tie on dumbbell eyes? If so, what size dumbell eyes are you using?

I hear thats what Smalliestalker ties his salmon snaggin flies with maybe ask him!

i want to start useing shanks but not sure what size to buy

i want to tie large trout/steelhead swingflys but i have trouble casting dumbbell eyes so i am a little worried about the weight

my choices in sizes are 15mm 20mm 25mm 35mm 45mm 55mm

does anybody know which one has about the same weight as the dumbbell so i can buy the one just under that

thanks for your help

None of the Waddington shanks available will weigh anything like dumbbell eyes, the shanks are basically a hook shank with two eyes to tie to. You can add weight with lead wire, or dumbbell eyes, try slowing down your casts you can get them out there.

And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up

Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here

Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer