Fly Tying
AndrewP

"Nail Biters" (spoon flies)

I've been tying up spoon flies for redfish and black drum -- I use fake fingernails and nail polish. I call them "Nail Biters" but I've also seen the called "Nail-Ums", "Finger Flingers", etc .... not an original tie by any means, but it's effective!!

The tie is simple --

1) just bend the shank of the hook a bit into a curve

2) tie on beadchain on bottom of shank at hook bend

3) tie on tail of choice and wrap extra material around shank up to the eye. Whip finish and cut thread.

4) Glue on false fingernails on top of shank (I use a quick-drying glue just to get the nail in position)

5) After it sets up, turn fly over and fill in the underside of the fly with epoxy

6) Paint with your fingernail polish of choice!!

Results are like this (in black):

2862035170049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

and this one in gold ....

2196579540049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

Proof that they work ......

2492680140049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

Oh yeah, they're not just for redfish. I tie them up in other color combinations for trout, snook, baby tarpon, and largemouth bass.

Here are a couple more:

2157619660049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

And another group -- I've had great success with the white/red head one on juvi tarpon and snook ....

2091411850049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

Other than the odd stares you get when shopping for fingernail polish, it's all good ........ ;)

Enjoy!!!

I had heard mention of this idea in a topic i started about wouldnt you know it, spoon flies. Think this is amazing and they sell the fake nails at the dollarama! great flies andrew. I would love to see the action on these.

Druce :D

Very nice flies! B) Do these flies spin while being stripped in? If yes, are you using a small swivel on the tippet to prevent the line from coiling? I have to tie a few.

Very nice flies! B) Do these flies spin while being stripped in? If yes, are you using a small swivel on the tippet to prevent the line from coiling? I have to tie a few.

I think they do twist a bit, but that's from casting, not the action of the spoon. The spoon does a wobble, although if you strip it hard it might flip over itself in a twist .......

No, I don't use a swivel personally, although I'm sure you could .......

VERY NICE TIES YOU HAVE THERE. I REALLY LIKE YOUR COLORS & COMBINATIONS. ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE GRIZZLY HACKLE. I HAVE USED NAIL SPOON FLYS FOR A WHILE. THEY ARE SO EASY TO TIE & PRODUCE GREAT RESULTS. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR DESIGNS & TAKE ON THEM. I USUALLY TIE A NON SLIP MONO LOOP KNOT TO THE FLY TO GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE WOBBLE ACTION & I DON'T HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH THE LINE SPINNING & KINKING AT ALL. THE LOOP REALLY HELPS WITH THAT, & ALOT MORE STRIKES AS WELL FROM THE EXTRA ACTION IT GIVES THE FLY. VERY NICELY DONE...THANK YOU FOR THE PICS.

EDDIE

VERY NICE TIES YOU HAVE THERE. I REALLY LIKE YOUR COLORS & COMBINATIONS. ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE GRIZZLY HACKLE. I HAVE USED NAIL SPOON FLYS FOR A WHILE. THEY ARE SO EASY TO TIE & PRODUCE GREAT RESULTS. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR DESIGNS & TAKE ON THEM. I USUALLY TIE A NON SLIP MONO LOOP KNOT TO THE FLY TO GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE WOBBLE ACTION & I DON'T HAVE ANY TROUBLE WITH THE LINE SPINNING & KINKING AT ALL. THE LOOP REALLY HELPS WITH THAT, & ALOT MORE STRIKES AS WELL FROM THE EXTRA ACTION IT GIVES THE FLY. VERY NICELY DONE...THANK YOU FOR THE PICS.

EDDIE

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING??? Press caps lock :) Sorry in an interesting mood lol... Great flies