Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BocaGrandefly

Nikon D40 v. d7000

I currently have the D40 and like it but I am thinking about stepping up to the D7000. The D40 is great because it has a smaller body, but the lowest ISO is 200 and I have heard the picture qualities are better on the D7000.

i am about to have my first child, so I will probably be taking a number of lower light shots (in the crib ect...) and thought the 7000 may be better. Thoughts?

PS just discovered the Photography Corner, great forum

Don't know about th D7000, Nikon and Canon seem to come out with so many; I've got the D300 and D40. Check out Ken Rockwell's site, he does a phenominal job of comparing Nikon models. http://kenrockwell.com/ He purchases all the equipment himself so is not biased in his reviews.

Granted, the ISO on the 40 does not give you much latitude but you can help that by getting a fast prime lens like a f1.4 or 1.8 50mm or 35mm. Then too, Nikon makes a great little hot shoe mounted flash that only runs about $125 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm The flash part swivels and allows to bounce off the ceiling and you have the ability with Nikons of adjust or increasing your flash output for some really natural looking indoor shots.

I have the D300 and D40 with a variety of lenses and the SB400 & SB600 flash units. Take your time with the decision and don't get rid of the D40. I actually purchased the D40 after having the D300 for a couple years. I wanted a small camera that I could carry to festivals and on the street, the D300 is such a beast I found myself leaving it at home. I like to travel light and the D300 when dealing with four children or the crowds at a festival and such was kind of cumbersome. The D40 is a great little camera I use both of mine for different situations and actually carry both on certain occassions with a different lens loaded on each one - usually that is for work when on a jobsite.

Kirk

Don't know about th D7000, Nikon and Canon seem to come out with so many; I've got the D300 and D40. Check out Ken Rockwell's site, he does a phenominal job of comparing Nikon models. http://kenrockwell.com/ He purchases all the equipment himself so is not biased in his reviews.

Granted, the ISO on the 40 does not give you much latitude but you can help that by getting a fast prime lens like a f1.4 or 1.8 50mm or 35mm. Then too, Nikon makes a great little hot shoe mounted flash that only runs about $125 http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm The flash part swivels and allows to bounce off the ceiling and you have the ability with Nikons of adjust or increasing your flash output for some really natural looking indoor shots.

I have the D300 and D40 with a variety of lenses and the SB400 & SB600 flash units. Take your time with the decision and don't get rid of the D40. I actually purchased the D40 after having the D300 for a couple years. I wanted a small camera that I could carry to festivals and on the street, the D300 is such a beast I found myself leaving it at home. I like to travel light and the D300 when dealing with four children or the crowds at a festival and such was kind of cumbersome. The D40 is a great little camera I use both of mine for different situations and actually carry both on certain occassions with a different lens loaded on each one - usually that is for work when on a jobsite.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. That is a big help.

whatever you choose on your camera setup, I hope ya get lots of local flavor pics of the central and south Florida area. I was raised in Tampa and spent alot of time allover the area and the Boca Grande and Englewood area fishing. I sure miss the snook and trout and reds. Hope to see some pics of the area and the new little one

Ken Rockwell is considered a joke in the photography world so take everything he says with a grain of salt he has been known to be wrong on several occations. Even Ken himself has admitted that you should not take him seriously. The D7000 camera is the best thing that Nikons come out with in years; even the higher end pro consumer Nikons like the D90 or the D300s don't have native iso100 or iso 6400 they fake it (D700 has iso6400 but not iso100). A lot of Nikon users are raving about this camera and many are trading out there D90's for it.

A trustworthy review can be found on the link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond7000/