Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Sort of forget how small our flies are

Nice, When you are that small you almost only have to use one fiber from the dubbing to make the thorax. :) I want to get a midge head for my regal so I can start tying teeny flies.

This is what threw me off...I was tying 6/0 rubber bass jigs for the last 8 years then tried to tie size 20 midges... :wacko:

Love doing them both!

Todd

what really boggles my mind is when we catch a 30+" steelhead on a size #20 midge.

I must have read three or four articles covering large fish being taken on tiny flies. I find I have a harder time tying larger patterns then smaller. Any thing larger than a size 16 gives me fits. A size 20 is about as small as I can go with my current vise which I'd love to upgrade but I don't want to offend the wife. She gave it to me as a Valentines day gift a couple of years ago.

I’m in a Bass fishing club. Until my little boy came along I fished about 6-8 tournaments a year with them. One of the guys in the club was talking about an upcoming fly fishing trip to Colorado so I tied up a few dozen flies and gave them to him at one of our tourneys. Some of the other guys were shocked at the size of the flies (mostly 16’s and 18’s) “You guys actually catch fish with those?” I always smile on the inside when I hear them talking about “playing” a fish with their 20lb+ line and 5/0 hooks.

-D