Fly Tying
Thomas.T

Early season brook trout fishing

Hi all, I am new at fly fishing the early season in New Brunswick, Canada for brook trout, I have been told that nymphs are the best but i am having trouble deciding what ones to tie and use. If anybody has any answers for me that would be great.

If you do a google search for "hatch chart for......". Put the name of the area or river in the search. Check the resulting chart for the insects hatching at that time. I would "guess" that the answer might be March Browns and blue wing olives. Then look up fly patterns for the insects listed.

Hope this might help

Small bright colored streamers, 10s and 12s. Early season fish aren't too selective.

What size streams are you fishing?

Hi all, I am new at fly fishing the early season in New Brunswick, Canada for brook trout, I have been told that nymphs are the best but i am having trouble deciding what ones to tie and use. If anybody has any answers for me that would be great.

I'm in West/central Maine. When fishing the small rivers here in late April and early May I use a small yellow streamer (size 10-14). This does fairly well on Brookies and Browns.

Kev

<><

If you do a google search for "hatch chart for......". Put the name of the area or river in the search. Check the resulting chart for the insects hatching at that time. I would "guess" that the answer might be March Browns and blue wing olives. Then look up fly patterns for the insects listed.

Hope this might help

i am fishing a variety of size from small brooks and creeks to good size rivers for brown trout.

Hope this might help

i am fishing a variety of size from small brooks and creeks to good size rivers for brown trout.

Hey all again, now that fishing season is here, i was wondering for newbrunswick if there is any point to go fishing where all the rivers and brooks are flooded and currents are fast. being a new fly fisher should i travel the hour drive to fish brown trout, if so what flies are good to use.

Flooding streams area a waste of time, fish aren't in the feeding mood, they're usually holed up behind an obstruction staying safe.

Brown trout (mature ones) like larger offerings such as minnow imitations, crawfish, leeches and etc. Keep your fly along the bottom when possible.

Early season Newbrunswick is very cold. Brookies will be very lathargic. Small weighted nymphs and worm patterns, brassies, discoes prince, san juan and of course flashback pheasant-tails, high sticking deep and slow.