Fly Tying
catmanclark

wood vs foam

Catman -

I have found that a lot of tyers can be really trendy. I keep hoping to make it back to Greatwaters, but that has been harder since we moved out of Minnesota. I know one year I was there it seemed like everybody and their brother in the tying room was spinning and stacking deerhair. It's a fad thing. At that point in time it was the only way to go. We see it on the site here too a little bit, but not to that extent. Don't let them push you either way, it comes down to that was simply the way THEY are doing it right now.

Decide for yourself. It sounds like we have similar approaches - fly tying is a lot about the methods and process of creating a fly. Others like the preformed bodies so they can crank them out faster or spend more time on the painting than I might. To each his own. Next thing you know, they'll be inviting you to be a tying demonstrator to show that beautiful process of shaping balsa bodies.

That's the great thing about tying your own flies - you can do what you want the way you want.

Deeky

perchjerker thanks for the help. The lures look great. I have one more question I have the brass tubing you get from the hobby store I bought to cut out round disc of foam how do you keep the drill press from crushing the brass pipe? Thanks BF

bigfoot:

Please forgive me delayed response.

Sorry that I left this part out. I cut a short (approx. 1") piece of dowel of the ID of the tube and insert it in the end of the brass tube that goes into the chuck. Also, you do not need to tighten the chuck as tight as you can get it. Anything for some internal support. As I have a lathe, I have also turned 'plugs' for some if I did not have appropriate sized dowel on hand.

perchjerker

post-11886-1302274276_thumb.jpgpost-11886-1302274289_thumb.jpgpost-11886-1302274297_thumb.jpgpost-11886-1302274312_thumb.jpghtt

p

http://www.realisticflytying.net/id12.html

Here is a link to a sbs on one type of foam popper.

all these poppers and sliders were done out of foam and can be done in a similar manner.

Perchjerker put up some fine examples of poppers this is just to show a different technique.

I did an SBS for the 2nd popper swap last year on cutting and shaping balsa poppers. It's here http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...51756&st=30 on page 3 if that isn't the right link. I've switched to a dremel to turn the body shape using a giant needle that I filed the end of the eye off to make a fork.