Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BrianM

piggyback caddis nymph

My standard olive caddis nymph pattern is pretty simple based on the hare's ear spider with an olive wool body. I've been playing around with black pearl beads (unweighted) and have developed a completely different style of green caddis. Instead of having a body tied around the shaft of the hook, I've anchored a slim oval piece of soft plastic at the bend, wound the thread forward to behind the bead, formed a hoop

at the top (looks like the grub has an arched back) and reattached the body behind the bead. Just behind the bead I've added a few turns of P/herl and tied off. Also, before the soft plastic body is attached, I made some segments using black cotton. It's a bit hard to describe; think of a sine wave. I don't have a digital camera capable of macro so unable yet to show a photo.

What I'm looking for is a better type of body material that would look like the segmented body of the larvae. What I've got is not too bad, but there may be a better material out there. Tight lines.

Brian

My standard olive caddis nymph pattern is pretty simple based on the hare's ear spider with an olive wool body. I've been playing around with black pearl beads (unweighted) and have developed a completely different style of green caddis. Instead of having a body tied around the shaft of the hook, I've anchored a slim oval piece of soft plastic at the bend, wound the thread forward to behind the bead, formed a hoop

at the top (looks like the grub has an arched back) and reattached the body behind the bead. Just behind the bead I've added a few turns of P/herl and tied off. Also, before the soft plastic body is attached, I made some segments using black cotton. It's a bit hard to describe; think of a sine wave. I don't have a digital camera capable of macro so unable yet to show a photo.

What I'm looking for is a better type of body material that would look like the segmented body of the larvae. What I've got is not too bad, but there may be a better material out there. Tight lines.

Brian

How about a photo?

Thanks

Brian

How about a photo?

Thanks

when I can get a friend to take a macro for me

Brian

Brian

How about a photo?

Thanks

best I can do at the moment - gives you an indication of the shape - this is an

earlier model.

Brian

post-33375-0-63225200-1304577809_thumb.jpg

have you tried tying this fly on a curved scud hook?

tie in the oval material you are currently using at the bend and follow the curvature of the hook shank with the oval material. the rib it with wire to give you the segmentation you want.

latex glove material will also work

the material used for gummi minnows

jelly cord from the craft store

does this pattern work for you without the segmentation?? is it really needed?

have you tried tying this fly on a curved scud hook?

tie in the oval material you are currently using at the bend and follow the curvature of the hook shank with the oval material. the rib it with wire to give you the segmentation you want.

latex glove material will also work

the material used for gummi minnows

jelly cord from the craft store

does this pattern work for you without the segmentation?? is it really needed?

Hi flytire

I have tied them on Gamakatsu Drop Shot and Octopus hooks from 6 to 10 - the Drop Shot seems to have the better curve for a caddis/scud. The photo example is an earlier model tied on a Mustad 10.

I would say that jelly cord is what I'm looking for - latex gloves are easy to obtain - thanks for that info. Pattern is fine without segments - more for the fisherman than the fish methinks, as when it is ripping down a fast river, the trout doesn't have time to examine and count the segments. I'll see if I can get some jelly cord and post another pic. I'm not giving up my Hares ear spider version - it's still the best fish catcher I have - for the rainbows I just add a bit of sparkle.

Thanks for your input and info

Brian

Great pics,

I tie the shark caddis, this first picture in your post. If you really spin/twist antron tightly you get that result, segments without a wire rib. If you look closely at the picture you will see that there is a real nymph among the ties. Its one of the simplest realist tie I do.

Lanning

Great pics,

I tie the shark caddis, this first picture in your post. If you really spin/twist antron tightly you get that result, segments without a wire rib. If you look closely at the picture you will see that there is a real nymph among the ties. Its one of the simplest realist tie I do.

Lanning

Greetings. That's the one I like too. I haven't tried antron yet. I managed to get some jelly cord aka stretch beading cord today and will try a model with the cord wound around the shank. Instead of an external rib I'm going to try a gold wire rib around the hook shank and then wind the cord over the top - the rib should show thru the transparency of the material. I'm interested in the colour purple for it's wavelength in deeper water and I got some jelly cord in that colour to try out. Some say that bright yellow is a good attractor but I would think that in deeper water it would simply look white (H. Parumbripennis)

regards

Brian

check out some of the fotos here for additional ideas

http://www.google.co...iw=1660&bih=865

Great pics,

Lanning

I also like the shark caddis larva. It´s easy to tie and very succesful

Regards

Stefan

check out some of the fotos here for additional ideas

http://www.google.co...iw=1660&bih=865

Great pics,

Lanning

I also like the shark caddis larva. It´s easy to tie and very succesful

Regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan, I'll be having a go at the shark. Thanks everyone for your input - I'm slowly getting it sorted.

cheers

Brian

I would try micro tubing or small tubing. You could even rib it with wire or something. See if I can find a pic of one I do.

I would try micro tubing or small tubing. You could even rib it with wire or something. See if I can find a pic of one I do.

Hi JRG, I found some fine tubing, also some larva lace at a local (and rare) flyfishing shop - they both work well, not as stretchy as the Ice stretch lace but good enough. I've found that using coloured thread under clear tube is one way of getting around the lack of coloured lace. Tied some interesting and radical caddis's sofar. Just waiting for some hooks and then I'll start on the natural-looking net-building caddis based on Hans Stephensons version. Nice way to pass the winter.

cheers

Brian