Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

A "Swing" cast

I'm trying to grasp this "swing" casting technique that's used to present many wet flies. I've been doing allot of reading on the web and it's still a bit confusing, alteast for me, haven't used many wet flies till now. I want to try and utilize some wet flies this season.

Now if I understand the approach correctly it's basically a mend after you cast the fly, then you mend the line downstream so that it causes the fly to "swing" , putting a loop in the fly line, as it goes downstream? Or do I have this all wrong?

Thx's for any help on this :)

Mike

Look in this month's issue of Fly Fishing Magazine. Dave Whitlock has a great article on this topic.

Look in this month's issue of Fly Fishing Magazine. Dave Whitlock has a great article on this topic.

unfortunately I don't get that one. by chance would this article be online ?

Mike

Mike you got it right I fish alot of wets and once you cast it up and across just a quick mend then let the line loop out causing the line to put drag on the fly pulling it down and across

Thanks, I was hoping I was on the right track. I found a couple of video's on Youtube last night that real help show the technique in action. Now if we ever get some decent weather here I maybe able to get out a wet a line for a bit. Fishing here has been terrible ... way too much rain!

Mike