Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Diver and Chamois Help

I make my divers out of cork foam and balsa and would like to attach a chamois tail to the wooden and cork bodies instead of the hook. Do I need to cut a slot in the back and glue the chamois in? Any help would be great. Thanks BF

Can you elaborate a little? I am having trouble trying to envision what it is that you are trying to do. You first say that you are trying to make diving bugs using cork, foam, and balsa; all of which float. The configuration of the body will determine whether or not the tail can be readily attached to the body, rather than the hook. Also, how many strips of chamois to you intend to attach to the body/hook?

See the dilemma?

If you want to attach it to the body, I think you are going to want to glue it into a hole in the body. By just gluing it to the back of the body, I can see it just peeling away at the first pull. I think a hole in the body will be a more firm hold on the chamois. I guess my question is why you want to attach the chamois to body instead of the hook, which would be the firmest attachment. And besides, most divers have a skirt tied on behind the body anyway. I'd like to see what you are working on.

Deeky

Thanks for the help. I just have started using chamois for tails and was wanting to know if there were any other ways to attach the chamois to the body of the fly. I was trying to think outside of the box. I make divers out of foam cork and wood. If the diver are made to dive with pressure from the fly line the fly will dive and resurface when the pressure is let go. I can attach the chamois to the hook but thought it may make the fly have a different action attached to the body of the fly. Thanks BF

I think the biggest change in action would actually be the fly's attitude sitting in the water. At least in the test tank of my mind, as the point where the chamois is attached moves up the back of the body, the lower it is going to pull the back of the fly in the water. This, in turn, may affect the diving action as the angle of attack at the front changes. May not be a bad thing, but different.

Deeky