Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Orvis Waders

I stopped by our local "company" store last night.

It looks like Orvis is changing their waders to an entirely new line. All of the old ones, including the Pro Guide are drastically reduced.

Paul and I discussed the quality of the new ones and he was very impressed with the material and workmanship. .... Only one drawback...... The famous "return policy" will be different on new ones. Instead of replacing them, they will be repaired. Hmm...

In the meanwhile, gobble up the old ones at bargain prices.

do they have neo's too, or is their line of waders just breathables?? i cant remember and dont have my catalog any where near me (its at work for the boring times of the day like from 6 am to 230pm)

Wonder what that means for the return policy on the old styles that are on sale. I may take a trip that way if my plans fall through. I'm leaning towards Cabelas though just for the return policy.

I learned on our resent Lexington trip that the crotch is blown out on my old pair. Can't complain with about 7 years out of them though. That's the hazards of being hung like a squirrel. eek.gif

Lexington, Michigan

It's a Harbor on the southern end of Lake Huron. They stock it annually with salmon, browns and steelhead. The fish think it's their native river, although there isn't much flow, whith the exception of a small creek that drains through a tube. The salmon die and then the browns move in. Quite a few fish "winter-over" and create a 1/2 way decent ice fishery. Most of the harbors contain weeds and softer bottom, which in turn provides food for huge schools of minnows. Some of the "new" strains of browns are late spawners and actually spawn under the ice. Every year someone hooks a real bruiser in the high double digits. The steelhead take advantage of the roe and finally spawn in there as well. It's hit or miss. Water clarity is a big issue. A good east blow can reduce visibility for several days.

Lexington and Port Sanilac (about 11 miles north of there) are quite popular do to their proximity to the Detroit Metro Area.

These Ports are also one of the first areas to provide an early season opportunity for the trollers. In a normal year, some of the salmon and browns migrate to the Southern lake during the winter months and provide good fishing for those scraping shore with planer boards and bodybaits.