Fly Tying
Tailn'Jax

Redfishing 12-9

After I got my work done this morning I decided to head out. I launched around 2 started looking for some working fish. I spooked a bunch of reds laid up on the fall, but had a couple shots at some waking fish off the bank on a long flat. These fish were spooky, and I finally saw why. There was a shark (I didn't see a dorsal, so I'm assuming) coming out of the channel and up onto the flat chasing them. This thing was big, and as soon as it came up a huge mass of fish would push down the flat. I moved along looking for some more relaxed fish.

On the beginning of the flood I ventured up a creek and began to hear some fish working just inside. They were spread out, and heading up into some really skinny stuff fast. I caught up to them, but ended up spooking most of them in the deep part of the creek. Finally, I found a nice looking area that had some fish working and was able to blind cast a nice 19" red off the bank. I pulled another rat out of here as well on a black and purple EP...

PC090231.jpg

I made my way out to a place I found a bunch of fish last December, and the water was already up over the oysters. Theres a deep cut right in the mouth of the creek, and the tide was running back towards me. I set up and cast just beyond the cut, worked my fly back and hooked a fish. This one was small and threw the hook. I put another one in there and got a good bite. I set the hook on the fish and had one hell of a fight on my hands. This red ran me around every oyster bar in the place, but I got him tired out, he turned out to be the best fish of the day, almost 24" and fat...

PC090236.jpg

My only sight fished red of the afternoon came right after sunset; it was working a bank slowly, and I only saw the tip of its tail. The fish disappeared, but I got a cast in the general area and it ate. This fish was around 22", and it had the biggest spot of any red I have caught lately, really representative I think...

PC090244.jpg

It was another good day in the marsh, despite the wind and overcast conditions. These reds are starting to get cold, all the fish I caught wanted to seize up and I had to lay them flat. I don't think it will be long before the winter pattern sets in, they're darn near in it already. Hope y'all catch some fish this weekend.

Ryan

*Sigh*...nice fish, great report! (Ya lucky son of a gun) I sure do miss muh reds...especially after Jax or Panama Red post their adventures... :lol:

May I ask what is the winter pattern? It looks like I should be in NSB for the month of Jan..

Perry, in my area of North Florida I like dark baitfish patterns as we have dark mud bottom. When the water is dirty in the summer and on big tides the dark (black) works better than anything because it gives a good profile against a dirty background. There are other times when the fish are keyed in on shrimp, or the water is clear, that I throw tan Kwan type patterns. I catch clear water fish on black too though, just a matter of place and time whether I switch to a more natural color or not. It varies around the state, and I think Kirk could chime in about some of the George Clinton patterns they throw for LA reds. I think as long as the fish aren't too pressured, they'll eat any half decent looking, well presented fly.